You may enjoy choosing a specific book or item to fund for the library. We would be happy to recognize your donation by including your name, or the name of someone you wish to honor, on a bookplate added to the book or item.
If you would like to help us purchase an item from one of the wish lists below, please contact the Library Development office at (734) 615-4801 or LibraryDevelopment@umich.edu.
- Deanship of the University of Michigan Library Endowment
- The U-M Library is in a period of rapid growth as it adapts to the changing needs of users. Endowing the Deanship helps us continue to explore new ways of providing the finest content, access, and expertise.
- Head, Special Collections Research Center Endowment
- Endowing this position is a crucial step to ensure that the Special Collections Research Center has the leadership and expertise necessary to maintain its prominence and relevance for students and researchers.
- Taubman Health Sciences Library Director Endowment
- A gift to endow and name the directorship of the Taubman Health Sciences Library will support the top level leadership needed for delivering high-quality health and biomedical information services to U-M's academic health sciences schools, basic and clinical research systems, bioinformatics and clinical translational science departments, the U-M Health System, and also keep our library on the leading edge of academic health sciences libraries.
- Named and Renovated Spaces
$100,000 and up
- Spaces throughout the library that support a range of disciplines and activities are awaiting renovation. Choose a space that supports and enhances scholarship in any area of interest to you. Your support will help students and faculty advance the university's mission.
Anatomage Table, 81" Convertible (horizontal or vertical)
Replace the out-of-warranty Anatomage table located in the Taubman Health Sciences Library. The current table has been used extensively since it was acquired in 2015, with almost 1,200 reservations for academic use; field trips for local elementary, middle, high school, and home-schooled classes; and demos for numerous special guests, including alumni, deans and directors from universities around the world, as well as presidential candidates and cabinet members.
- Science Classic
- This complete Science magazine archive is available from the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). While the library has access to early issues of this premier scientific publication via other databases, offering all issues via AAAS would enable searching across all years of content as well as extend reference linking where available. Give Now >>
- Herbarium C.P. Thurnberg, 1743-1828
- Swedish naturalist Carl Peter Thurnberg gave his entire herbarium to Uppsala University, Uppsala in 1785. By that time it contained all the collections made during his travels as well as material received from some of his colleagues—such as Banks' specimens from Tahiti, New Zealand and Australia; Burman's from the Cape; Cavanilles' from France and Spain; Jacquin's from Austria; Marschall von Bieberstein's from the Crimea; Pallas' from Siberia; Roxburgh's from Coromandel; Schrader's from Germany; Sibthorp's from Greece etc. This rich type herbarium contains types of the taxa described by Thunberg and his students. It includes 1161 microfiche plus guide. Give Now >>
- Digital Preservation Lab Residency
- Sponsor a graduate or undergraduate student to support the work of our Digital Preservation Lab for a semester. This allows us to introduce the profession to a new generation while increasing the library's ability to convert legacy media and ensure scholarly access to information. Materials include a variety of formats from floppy disks to legacy hard drives. In appreciation of your generosity, the semester-long position can be named in honor of you or a loved one (i.e. the Jane Doe Resident in Digital Preservation).
- Study Carrel Project
$5,000 per carrel
- Your gift will make it possible for us to outfit one study carrel in the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library with new carpeting, fresh paint, a reading lamp, and a comfortable chair. These special carrels are highly sought after by students, who can reserve them for a week or more at a time. In appreciation of your generosity, we will install a plaque featuring your name on the wall outside the carrel.
Conservation light bleaching station
- Light bleaching is a technique used by conservators to gently lighten discolored paper or reduce stains on maps, prints, and other documents. A light-bleaching station in the Conservation Lab, using light banks designed for indoor plant culture, allows safe, controlled treatment even in the depths of a Michigan winter.
- Namco Pac-Man's Arcade Party Cocktail Game Cabinet
- The classic style wood arcade cabinet features a 19-inch color monitor and authentic joystick and controls modeled after the original. It includes the original Pac-Man game plus twelve other classic favorites: Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Galaxian, Pac-Mania, Galaga '88, Mappy, Xevious, Rolling Thunder, Dragon Spirit, Rally-X, and Bosconian.
- Multi-touch Cintiq Displays
$2,500 each (5 display)
- The displays would enhance the ability to navigate large maps and data sets in a more intuitive manner.
- Personal Paradigms, A Game of Human Experience
- Flying Fish Press published this artist's book by Julie Chen in 2004. It's an interactive experience for the reader in the form of a game that is played with the results then recorded in a collaborative ledger book. The object of the game focuses on the player's own life experience and perceptions at the moment that the game is being played. Game components, housed in a 15.5X11.25X4.75" cloth-covered box, include a letterpress-printed game board that opens to 21x30" and a multitude of laser-cut game pieces. Edition of 100. Give Now >>
- The Illuminated Fightbook: Royal Armouries Manuscript I.33
$1,200 (Royal Armouries Edition)
- Richly illustrated, depicting a priest instructing a scholar in a system of combat with sword and shield, and with text and verse in Latin and German, this title would complement the Library's extraordinary strength in early modern military history. Published in London by Extraordinary Editions, 2011, it includes 2 volumes, a 68 page facsimile and a 128 page companion. Give Now >>
- Food History. Critical and Primary Sources.
- A comprehensive survey of problems and methods in the field of food history. Chronological treatment, moving from human evolution and the origins of complex societies to contemporary industrial diets. Jeffrey M. Pilcher, editor. 2014. Give Now >>
- Computer and Video Games and Equipment
- The Art, Architecture and Engineering Library continues to seek any games and the equipment on which they were played for the Computer and Video Game Archive.
Thank you to:
Carl D. Winberg, M.D. for a suction table for the Conservation Lab which enables a state-of-the-art option for complex treatments.
JABberwocky Literary Agency for sponsorship of the 2017 and 2018 U-M Undergraduate Research Awards
William D. Frank, PhD in memory of William S. Moran, PhD, MLS Pedanius Dioscorides of Anazarbos (fl. 50-70), "De materia medica" ["Regarding Medical Materials"]
Catherine C. Clark for funds that allow us to replace books discovered missing from the Children's Literature Collection during a recent inventory
Max Lepler and Rex L. Dotson for John Byrnes' Fantastic Four Artist's Edition
Michael K. Burns, donating in honor of Eleanor J. Burns Almanacco dell'architetto (Almanac of the architect)
Verena Ward for Dave Stevens' The Rocketeer: Artist's Edition (New Printing) and for Higher Education Institutions and Learning Management Systems Adoption and Standardization
Cruchley's New Plan of London and Arcade Legends 3 Game Cabinet
Karen Reiman-Sendi The Beatles: Rock Band X360 Wireless Gretsch Duo-Jet Guitar Controller (for Xbox 360) and Walter Simonson's Thor Artist's Edition
Max Lepler and Rex L. Dotson, in honor of René D. Amaya (U-M AMLS 1959) The Beatles: Rock Band X360 Wireless Rickenbacker 325 Guitar Controller (for Xbox 360)
Anita M. Gilleo Colección de Don Juan Bautista Muñoz, Diversidad lingüística y diccionario, Real Academia Espanola Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Nueva gramática de la lengua española, and Tesoro castellano del primer diccionario de América: lemas y concordancias del Vocabulario españolnáhuatl (1555) de Alonso de Molina
John C. Lodge, donating in memory of René D. Amaya A Collection of Imperial Seals from the Qing Dynasty
Thomas Beauvais The County of Essex Survey (1824)
Constance Rinehart, in memory of Wallace Bjorke Digitization of the Women Composers Collection
Mary Alice Shulman, donating in memory of Professor Harold Levinson Enciclopedia de economia, finanzas y negocios (Encyclopedia of Economics, Finance, and Business)
Bernard J. Sivak, M.D. The Fabric of the Human Body
Anonymous Gran Simulacro dell'Arte e dell'Uso della Scherma di Ridolfo Capo Ferro de Cagli, Maestro dell'eccelsa natione alemanna, nell'inclita Citta di Siena (Great Representation of the Art and Use of Fencing), 1610
Moon-Sook and the late Elder Sang Y. Nam A Map of Korea from the Collection of Gyujanggak, Seoul National University
Verena Ward, in honor of Mr. Irving Kao's 90th birthday Selected Korean Fiction Written in Chinese
John P. Wood Talcott Parsons
Max Lepler and Rex L. Dotson, in honor of John C. Lodge Two Wii+ Remote Controllers