Current Page Path
Gurpreet Kaur Rana
I lead the Taubman Health Sciences Library's Global Health Program, establishing partnerships, promoting and fostering international relationships, and creating opportunities in research, teaching and learning in the health sciences. In my role as Global Health Coordinator, I implement a range of efforts to contribute to the University's efforts in global health and health equity. The library's Global Health Program leverages the informationist role in global health, creates educational partnerships within the U-M health sciences community, explores the role of informatics in health equity, conducts expert searching, investigates data sources, and takes part in global health research -- working towards lessening health inequity around the world through the power of information.
M.L.I.S, University of Western
B.Sc. (Honors Biology),
- 2017 T. Hodges International Service Award, Medical Library Association
- 2013 Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, Medical Library Association
- 2007 University Library Recognition Award
Professional Affiliations and Committees
Board of Directors, Medical Library Association
Medical Library Assocation
Diversity and Inclusion Task Force
Scholarly Communications Committee
Past Chair, Librarians Without Borders Committee
International Cooperation Section
Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association
- Medical Affairs Advisory Committee, Faculty Senate, University of Michigan
Areas of Expertise
Expert searching of the scholarly literature
Undergraduate and graduate education
Global health information resources
Curation of health equity data and data visualization tools
Open access sources for low resource settings
Information-seeking behavioral research
Kaselitz E, Rana GK, Heisler M. Public Policies and Interventions for Diabetes in Latin America: a Scoping Review. Curr Diab Rep. 2017 Aug;17(8):65.
Heisler M, Kaselitz E, Rana GK, Piette JD. Diabetes Prevention Interventions in Latin American Countries: a Scoping Review. Curr Diab Rep. 2016 Sep;16(9):80.
Piette JD, List J, Rana GK, Townsend W, Striplin D, Heisler M. Mobile Health Devices as Tools for Worldwide Cardiovascular Risk Reduction and Disease Management. Circulation. 2015 Nov 24;132(21):2012-27.
Anderson F, Donkor P, de Vries R, Appiah-Denkyira E, Dakpallah GF, Rominski S, Hassinger J, Lou A, Kwansah J, Moyer C, Rana GK, Lawson A, Ayettey S. Creating a charter for collaboration for international university partnerships: the Elmina Declaration for Human Resources for Health. Academic Medicine. 2014; 89(8): 1125-1132.
Rana, Gurpreet K. Information empowerment: predeparture resource training for students in global health. JMLA: Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2014; 102(2): 101-104.
Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu comprehension
- Center for International Reproductive Health Training (CIRHT)
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Community Health Nursing - INDIA
- Community Health
- Health Disparities in the U.S.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Global Health Information & Resources
- U-M Global Health & Disparities Path of Excellence: An Information Resource Starter Kit
- Refugees and Migrants: Information Resources for a Global Crisis