Current Page Path
Shevon Ardeshir Desai
As the Communication Studies and Information Science Librarian, I purchase materials and provide reference and instruction services in support of the research and instructional programs of the Communication Studies Department and the U-M School of Information. I also select materials related to news and general periodicals.
I meet regularly with faculty and students, both graduate and undergraduate. Please feel free to email me with a question, set up an appointment for a research consultation, have me visit your class regarding library research, or create a library research guide for your class.
I will have weekly drop-in office hours at North Quad, beginning in October:
UMSI: Mondays 1-3 pm, NQ 1286 (through Dec 10th; note I will NOT have office hours on Nov 19 and 26)
Communication Studies: Wednesdays 1-3 pm, NQ 5386 (through Dec 5th; note I will NOT have office hours on Nov 21 and 28)
I am a part of the Social Sciences Team within the library's Research division. I am also a member of the General Reference and Popular Press (GRPP) E-team, and the library's Text and Data Mining Task Force.
Much of my work is interdisciplinary in nature as it crosses between the social sciences and humanities. As a selector for news resources, I have some knowledge about using these resources for text mining. I can consult with researchers about writing data management plans; I regularly assist users in locating various types of data and statistics needed for their research, relevant to my subject areas; I can collaborate with other experts in the library to provide guidance on metadata and documentation for one's research data; and I can provide guidance in the areas of data sharing and preservation, and advise researchers on appropriate repositories.
- Comm 159 Global Media Microclimates
- Data Management Plans for the Social Sciences
- Comm 312: Television in the Digital Age
- Comm 460/Hist 445: History of Technology and Modern Culture
- SI 623: Research Methods for Information Professionals
- SI 501 Contextual Inquiry and Consulting Foundations
- Comm 491 and 451: Senior Thesis
- Comm 322: Flint Water Crisis research group
- Comm 490: Celebrity Effects
- "Fake News," Lies and Propaganda: How to Sort Fact from Fiction