Current Page Path
Shevon Ardeshir Desai
As the Communication and Information Studies Librarian, I purchase materials and provide reference and instruction services in support of the research and instructional programs of the Communication Studies Department and the U-M School of Information. I also select materials related to newspapers and general periodicals.
I am a part of the Social Sciences Team within the library's Research division. I am also a member of the General Reference and Popular Press (GRPP) E-team.
Much of my work is interdisciplinary in nature as it crosses between the social sciences and humanities. As a selector for news resources, I have some knowledge about using these resources for text mining. I can consult with researchers about writing data management plans; I regularly assist users in locating various types of data and statistics needed for their research, relevant to my subject areas; I can collaborate with other experts in the library to provide guidance on metadata and documentation for their data; and I can provide guidance in the areas of data sharing and preservation, and can advise researchers on appropriate repositories.
I meet regularly with faculty and students, both graduate and undergraduate. Please feel free to contact me with a question, set up an appointment for a research consultation, have me visit your class regarding library research, or create a library research guide for your class.
Office Hours - Winter 2017
I will hold weekly office hours at North Quad, starting in February
- UMSI: Mondays, 1:00-3:00 PM, NQ 1243 (beginning Feb 6th)
- Comm Studies: Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00 PM, NQ 5386 (beginning Feb 1st)
- Information & Library Science
- Communication Studies
- Comm 445: Music & Identity
- Knight Wallace Journalism Fellows
- Comm 350: The Rise of Mass Culture
- Comm 491 and 492: Senior Honors Seminar
- News Sources
- SI 110: Introduction to Information Studies
- COMM 102 Media Processes and Effects
- Michigan in the World: Bombs, Bonds and Boycotts