Current Page Path
Jo Angela Oehrli
I am a former high school and middle school teacher who can help students find information on a wide range of topics. I teach library resources sessions to different classes or just meet with students individually to help them with their papers, research, or any other information need. I support the students in the Women in Science and Engineering Residential Program and the students in the Michigan Research Community Residential Program as well as undergraduates across campus. I also support the research and instructional needs for those throughout the university community who are studying children's literature at any level.
Oehrli, Jo Angela. “Creating Objectives Collaboratively: Actionable Goals Across the Library System.” LOEX Annual Conference. Dearborn, Michigan. 1 May 2010. Presentation slides.
Oehrli, Jo Angela, Julie Piacentine, Amanda Peters and Benjamin Nanamaker. “Do Screencasts Really Work? Assessing Student Learning Through Instructional Screencasts.” ACRL Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 1 April 2011.
Oehrli, Jo Angela, Phil Hallman, Karen Downing, Jennifer Bonnet, Tim Hamblin and Lisa Hamilton. “Dig Deep: Libraries, Archives and Filmmaking.” SXSW Film Festival, Austin, Texas. 13 March 2012. Presentation
Oehrli, Jo Angela and Peter Timmons. “Instructor College Virtual Swap Meet: A Model for Developing an Instruction Community.” LOEX Annual Conference. Columbus, Ohio. 4 May 2012. Description and Presentation Slides.
Fontichiaro, Kristin, and Jo Angela Oehrli. (2014). Turning the Tables on Collaboration Part I: Planning for Success. Library Media Connection, 32(4), 36-38.
Oehrli, Jo Angela, and Kristin Fontichiaro. (2014). Turning the Tables on Collaboration Part II: Reflecting on Success. Library Media Connection, 32(5), 34-35.
Martin, Scott and Jo Angela Oehrli. “Diving into Data: Developing Skills in Research Data Services” ACRL Annual Conference, Portland, Oregon. 27 March, 2015. Poster Presentation.
Oehrli, Jo Angela and Emily Hamstra. “Scholarly/Non-Scholarly Lesson Plan.” Teaching Information Literacy Threshold Concepts: Lesson Plans for Librarians. Ed. Hazel McClure, Gayle Schaub, and Patricia Bravender. Chicago: ACRL Publications. 2015.
Martin, Scott and Jo Angela Oehrli. “Diving into Data: Developing Data Fluency for Librarians.” The New Information Literacy Instruction: Best Practices. Ed. Pat Ragains and Sandy Wood. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. 2015.
Oehrli, Jo Angela and Diana Perpich. "Translating the Framework into Your Current Practice: Taking the Next Step Into the Threshold Concepts." LOEX Fall Focus, Ypsilanti, MI. 13 November, 2015. Presentation.
Fontichiaro, Kristin, & Oehrli, Jo Angela. (2016). Why Data Literacy Matters. Knowledge Quest, 44(5), 20-27.
Duque, G., Oehrli, J.A., Peters, A., Stark, A. "Questioning Authority: An Exploration of Diverse Sources." LOEX Annual Conference, Lexington KY. May 2017.
Oehrli, Jo Angela. (Fall 2017). Stats and Data Comprehension. Cherry Lake Publishing: Ann Arbor.
Oehrli, Jo Angela (Fall 2017). Ethical Data Use. Cherry Lake Publishing: Ann Arbor.
Oehrli, Jo Angela, Kristin Fontichiaro, Tyler Hoff. “Real Strategies to Address Fake News: Librarians, Data Literacy, and the Post-Truth World.” ALA Annual Conference, Chicago. June 2017. Poster Presentation.
Oehrli, Jo Angela. “Creating Data Literate Students.” NISO Webinar Series: Digital and Data Literacy, Part Two -- Scholarly Digital and Data Literacy: Satisfying the Need. 20 September, 2017. Panel Presentation.
Oehrli, Jo Angela. “The Fake News Phenomenon.” ARL Fall Meeting, Washington D.C. 3 October, 2017. Panel Presentation.
American Library Association, Library Instruction Round Table, Librarian Recognition Award (2017).
- Bachelor of Arts, English and History, Western Michigan University (1992)
- Teacher Certification, 7-12, English and History, Western Michigan University (1999)
- Master of Science in Information, University of Michigan (2009)
- Bibliographic instruction
- Ask a Librarian email and instant message reference
- In person reference at Shapiro and Hatcher Reference Desk
- LOEX Advisory Council, 2015-2018
- Member-at-Large, ACRL Instruction Section Executive Committee, 2016-2018.
- Vice Chair/Chair, Librarians' Forum Board, 2017-2019
- Select materials for and maintain the Children's Literature Collection
- Instructor for course ALA 105: Digital Research -- Critical Concepts and Strategies, ALA 270: Advanced Library Research in the Humanities and ALA 270: Fake News, Lies, and Propaganda: How to Sort Fact from Fiction.
- UM School of Information Adjunct Lecturer for SI 641: Information Literacy for Teaching and Learning, 2013, SI 643: Professional Practices in Libraries and Information Centers 2015.
- IMLS Laura Bush 21st Century Library Program, 2015-2017 Award -- $240,000 grant entitled Supporting Librarians in Adding Data Literacy Skills to Information Literacy Instruction.