Services for Guests
- Guest borrowing privileges are free for faculty from other Michigan institutions, and for faculty and graduate students enrolled at Big Ten Academic Alliance member institutions. For more information, please contact circulation staff at your home institution.
- All other guests can purchase guest borrowing privileges for $250 per year. Please stop by the Hatcher Graduate Library North Circulation Desk for details.
Guest Access to Licensed Online Resources
- Many of our licensed databases, online journals, and full-text articles are available to library visitors on guest computers (in Art, Architecture & Engineering, Fine Arts, Hatcher, Music or Shapiro).
- Guest printing and copying is available for a fee with a printing/copying account. As an alternative to printing or copying, guests are welcome to bring and use USB devices for scaned or saved files.
Please note: guests cannot access webmail (gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, etc.) from our library computers, per campus policy.
Guest Requests to View Print and Audiovisual Materials
- Guests may request that materials be transferred between U-M Library locations for their use on-site. (Note: The Health Sciences Remote Shelving Facility is not open to the public. Please use the request form. Requests usually take 1-2 days.)
- Guests wanting access to rare materials in our Special Collections Library should place a request via the Special Collections online registration and request process.
- Guests may view films housed in the Askwith Media Library on viewing stations within that library. Please bring a valid photo ID.
Copy and Printing Services
- To copy and print, guests can create an online account, then visit circulation desks at the Hatcher, Shapiro, and Art, Architecture & Engineering Library to pick up a new copy/print card, transfer value from old MLibrary Copy Cards, or add value to your new account. Guest copying and printing accounts will work at any printer or copier supported by Campus Computing Sites.
- If a department wishes to use a U-M ShortCode to charge for guest faculty and staff printing, an account can be set up for those printing in Campus Computing Sites. To charge copying and printing to a ShortCode, fill out this account request form.
Planning your visit
- To help you plan your visit, please see our information on building and service hours, as well as our information on parking and directions to campus libraries.
- The library catalog, Library Catalog Search, is freely available to search from locations off-campus, regardless of your university affiliation. We encourage guests to search the library catalog to find out if we own an item, which library houses that item, and if the item is currently available.
If you have questions about services, collections, or facilities, or if you need additional information about visiting the libraries, please Ask a Librarian.