The Shapiro Design Lab seeks undergraduate students to become Audio Interns. These students will assist in a variety of programs related to the Lab’s Media Production Rooms, with a focus on production and post-production of music, audio storytelling, and podcasts.
The primary responsibilities of an Audio Intern will be as follows:
- Assist in the recording/engineering of audio with users of the Winberg Media Production Room
- Assist in consultations with new and experienced audio creators
- Assist in the teaching and presentation of workshops for University students, faculty, and staff (in conjunction with other members of the Design Lab)
- Help staff “office hours” for drop-in consultation
Audio Interns will be expected to work 8-12 hours/week and will be paid $13/hour. These hours will be a mix of set shifts and appointment-based consultations/recording sessions.
There will be ample opportunities for Audio Interns to explore and learn about the other projects and programs at the Design Lab, including the fabrication/making technologies in the Design Lab Workshop as well as projects around Open Accessibility and Community + Citizen Science.
- Experience and familiarity with audio production and post-production hardware, software, and methods
- Responsibility and reliability in accomplishing projects
- Effective and prompt communication across multiple media
- Interest in collaborating with individuals from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints
- Ability to work both collaboratively and cooperatively
- Consultation and instruction experience related to audio production and post-production
- Ability to respond to changing needs within the Lab, given its exploratory and experimental character
- Interest in contributing to an interdisciplinary learning environment