[Heart] MLibrary button

Services for Alumni

Access to most library services and resources is restricted to currently enrolled students, staff and faculty, as well as researchers located on the Ann Arbor campus.  U-M alumni may purchase a borrowing card that allows checkout of print library materials, but does not provide any off-campus access to licensed electronic resources.  Please note, however, that the U-M Alumni Association offers off-campus access to selected electronic resources licensed by the library as one benefit of dues-paying association memberships.  For details about this association benefit, see the Alumni Association web site.

Any individual may access the University Library facilities and collections on site. Information about building and service hours can be found at http://www.lib.umich.edu/hours. The Kresge Business Library is open to the public -- all are welcome to use the collection except for a small set of electronic databases.Ross School alumni should view the Kresge Library Alumni Services web page for additional details about appropriate services. The Law Library welcomes researchers who need to use the Library’s resources.  See the library's access policy for details. Alumni should fill out an application for a pass. 

Borrowing Privileges:

All those who have completed a University of Michigan degree program at the Ann Arbor campus are eligible to take advantage of a special rate for library borrowing privileges from the University Library in Ann Arbor. Please note that this does not include off-campus access to online resources. See Off-Campus Access for further information. To obtain library borrowing privileges, individuals should visit Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services (Room 104, Hatcher Graduate Library North) or fill out the alumni borrowing form. Those University of Michigan alumni who are interested in borrowing materials from the Kresge Business Library should contact Kresge library staff (see details at Kresge's Circulation Services). Those University of Michigan – Flint and University of Michigan – Dearborn alumni who want to borrow library materials from the Ann Arbor University Library system should contact the Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services. For Flint and Dearborn library borrowing privileges, contact the library circulation staff at those libraries. Please note, however, that only University of Michigan-Dearborn alumni are eligible for the Dearborn alumni cards. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor alumni who wish to borrow materials from the Dearborn library must purchase a guest card.

Alumni may borrow University Library materials typically for three weeks. However, borrowing periods and renewal polices vary by campus library, so please check with circulation staff in those libraries for details.

Return of Material:

Materials checked out at any University Library can be returned to any other library in the system. Please do not return University Library books to Kresge Business Library or to the Law Library. For your convenience, there are two return drop boxes that are accessible from a car. One is at the Shapiro Library. The drop box is on the northwest side of the building and is accessible from the driveway that runs between the Clements and Shapiro Libraries. The other is on North Campus. It is located in the circular driveway at the front of Pierpont Commons.

How to Renew an Item:

You can renew the borrowing period for a book you have checked out via your Mirlyn account, after a successful login. See these instructions for renewing your books via Mirlyn.

Library Notices:

The University Library regularly sends notices regarding overdue books, materials ready for pick-up, books recalled by other patrons, etc. via email. Contact staff in Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services if your email address changes.

Please note:

Borrowing privileges will be suspended if regular circulating materials are kept for 30 days or more beyond their due date, or if a recalled item is one day overdue. Privileges will be restored only after the items have been returned.

Borrowing Items from Other (non-U-M) Libraries (Interlibrary Loan):

Interlibrary Loan means that you can go to a library where you have full borrowing privileges, such as your public library, and request that materials that your library does not own be requested from another library in the United States. An alumni borrowing card does not include Interlibrary Loan privileges at the University Library. It is possible, on the other hand, to go to your public library or any other library where you have full borrowing privileges and request that University of Michigan books be sent to this other library.

Reference Services:

As part of the University Library's mission to assist researchers with their questions regarding the collections, resources and services of the University of Michigan libraries, U-M alumni are encouraged to contact the various reference service desks for assistance, either in person, via phone, via email, or via instant message. University Library reference staff and subject specialists are happy to help you use our collections and resources. Just Ask a Librarian! If you need assistance with your research, please feel free to browse the library's subject-based guides. Please note: if you have questions about U-M yearbooks, past U-M course descriptions, or U-M photographs, please contact the Bentley Historical Library, the official U-M archive on campus.

Off-Campus Access to Library Resources:

While all U-M alumni are eligible to purchase University Library borrowing privileges at a discounted rate, off-campus access to licensed electronic resources is not included in those privileges.  Please note, however, that the U-M Alumni Association offers off-campus access to selected electronic resources licensed by the Library as one benefit of dues-paying association memberships.  For details about this association benefit, see the Alumni Association web site.

If you are able to visit any of the libraries within the University Library system in person, you can access most of the electronic resources from within that library building. Some resources available via the Library's Search Tools application are publicly available as well.

It is important to note that many of the library's licensed databases are also offered to all residents of the state of Michigan through the Michigan eLibrary. With a valid Michigan driver's license, a state ID number, or a library card number issued from a public library in the state, U-M alumni who reside in Michigan can access many databases remotely.

For those U-M alumni located in other states, we suggest that you contact your local public or academic library for information on electronic resources that may be available to you. 

We also recommend reviewing the free electronic resources collected by the Internet Public Library for your research inquiries.


Photocopying & Printing in the Libraries:

All the University Libraries have self-service photocopiers. You must purchase a copy card to use these copiers. The cards initially cost 50 cents but can be reused at no cost. These are the same cards that you might use for printing from the guest printers. Individual copies generally cost 10 cents but any larger or more specialized copies will cost more. See the Copy Services page for further details.

You can pay for printing at the University Libraries by using the copy card mentioned above. Guest printers are available at the Shapiro Undergraduate and Science Libraries, Hatcher Graduate Library, Art Architecture and Engineering Library and Taubman Health Sciences Library. These printers will charge 10 cents per page. There is further information available at http://www.lib.umich.edu/computing-library

Consider bringing a disk, a CD, or a USB flash drive to the Library to download the files you wish to save. Call ahead to make sure that the specific library’s public computers will accommodate the storage device you plan to use.

Many of the Library’s databases allow you to email an entry to yourself. Specific details on how to download or email entries will vary with each database. Please contact the Ask a Librarian service for assistance.

Giving to the University Library:

The University Library gratefully accepts donations and gifts from U-M alumni. If you are interested in showing your support of the University Library, please contact the University Library Development Office.

Page maintained by Karen Reiman-Sendi
Last modified: 10/02/2014