Services for Alumni
While access to most library services and resources is restricted to currently enrolled students, staff and faculty, as well as researchers located on the Ann Arbor campus, U-M alumni, as library guests, may conduct research using our collections and facilities.
- Alumni may use library materials on-site.
- Borrowing privileges may be purchased for $125 per year. [Details.]
- For U-M Flint and U-M Dearborn library borrowing privileges, contact the circulation services staff at those libraries.
- Please note that an alumni borrowing card does not include interlibrary loan service privileges. We suggest that you visit your local library where you have full borrowing privileges to request books that we do not own.
- Many of our licensed databases, online journals and full-text articles are available to library visitors on guest computers. [Details about computing.]
- The purchase of an alumni borrowing card does not provide off-campus access to licensed online resources. Please note however that the U-M Alumni Association offers off-campus access to selected online resources as one benefit of dues-paying association memberships. (Go to the Alumni Association Learning web page, and then click on the "Access Now" link in the right column.) Ross School alumni should view the Kresge Business Administration Library list of available online resources.
- With a valid Michigan driver's license, a state ID number, or a library card issued from a public library in the state, many licensed databases are available to people who reside in Michigan, via the Michigan eLibrary.
- The library provides alumni continuing access to RefWorks. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the "Group Code" needed for access.
- Alumni must register for a printing/copying account and add funds to that account prior to printing/copying. [Details.]
- We encourage alumni to bring and to use USB devices for saving PDFs of journal articles.
- Alumni may scan to selected self-service printer/copier equipment for free in the libraries.
- Alumni may request that circulating materials may be transferred between U-M library locations. (Note: The Health Sciences Remote Shelving Facility is not open to the public. Please use the request form.)
- Alumni wanting acess to rare materials in our Special Collections Library should place a request via the Special Collections online registration and request process.
- Alumni may view films housed in the Askwith Media Library on viewing stations within that library. Please bring a valid photo ID.
- To help you plan your visit, please see our information on building and service hours, as well as our information on parking and directions to campus libraries.
- The library catalog, Mirlyn, is freely available to search from locations off-campus, regardless of your university affiliation. We encourage alumni to search the library catalog to find out if we own an item, which library houses that item, and if the item is currently available.
If you have questions about services, collections, or facilities, or if you need additional information about visiting the libraries, please Ask a Librarian.