And what does a papyrologist do? If you've never even heard the word "papyrology" before, this is the place to find out what it means and even how to pronounce it.
Wood tablets, wax tablets, parchment, papyrus, potsherds and even paper were used as writing materials in ancient times. Here you can learn about the variety of ancient writing materials that can be found in the Michigan collection.
- Glossary of Papyrological Terms
- Useful Books
- Conservation of Papyri
- Greek Numbers, Dates, and Currency
- How Papyrus Was Made
- Educational Links
- Ancient Book Forms: the Codex and the Roll
- Where Do The Papyri Come From?
- The American Society of Papyrologists' Resolution Condemning the Illicit Trade in Papyri