The Clark Library is located on the second floor of the Hatcher Graduate Library's South building, and includes:
• A presentation space that accommodates instruction
• Display space for physical and digital collections
• Large screen digital displays, along with dual-screen computers and accessibility for laptops, in collaborative group spaces and individual workstations throughout the library
• High-resolution scanning capabilities to allow for the creation of a digital copy of a map for a user to work with either online or via a print-on-demand real-size copy
• An ongoing program of preemptive digitization of maps from the collection for preservation
• Flexible and movable furniture to allow for studying, research and collaboration, with the capability of small group or auditorium-style seating for special events
• Storage capacity onsite for researchers to hold maps on which they are working in a secure place for the length of their project
The units that came together to form the Clark Library have a rich history. For a general history of the University of Michigan's library system, see this page.
The Map Collection history is described below:
|early 1860's||The University of Michigan General Library begins to collect cartographic materials.
|1904||Around this time, the General Library begins to consider its cartographic materials as a separate reference collection, and creates a dedicated space on the 3rd floor called the 'Map Room'. The first accession book (containing a chronological list of acquisitions) of cartographic materials is begun.
|1922||Acquisition of the Vignaud collection|
|1923||Acquisition of the Hubbard collection|
|1970||Construction of the General Library's South Building is completed, and the cartographic collection is moved to a dedicated space on its 8th floor called the 'Map Library'. Soon after the General Library's name is changed to the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.
|2006||Acquisition of the Clinton collection|
|fall 2011||Opening of the Stephen S. Clark Library for Maps, Government Information & Data Services, which houses the Map Collection, Spatial & Numeric Data Services (SAND), and the Government Information Center. It will be located on the 2nd floor of the Hatcher Graduate Library's South Building.