Current Page Path
As the Head of Design & Discovery (D&D) within the Library IT division, Rachel oversees a team of user experience and accessibility specialists, web designers, front-end web developers, and program managers.
Beyond the library, Rachel is a former President of the Library & Information Technology Association (LITA), a 2014 Library Journal Mover & Shaker, and a 2007 American Library Association (ALA) Emerging Leader. Currently, she's on the Board of Directors for ALA's Games and Gaming Round Table, an advisory committee for the Designing for Digital conference, and is an editorial board member for Web Management & Marketing: The Peer-Reviewed Journal.
She was also invited to participate on the Horizon Project Academic & Research Library Panel of Experts for 2016-2017, a group that selects the topics and informs the production of the New Media Consortium (NMC) Horizon Report: 2017 Library Edition. The final report will be released on March 23, 2017.
Her research and professional interests include user experience, information architecture, open source technologies, digital libraries, discovery technologies, and leadership.
- Manages the Design & Discovery department
- Collaborates with the Library IT leadership team to guide the strategic direction of the division
- Provides management of the department’s operational portfolio that includes front-end web application development, universal and graphic design, content strategy, user research, and UX strategy
- Provides leadership for programmatic initiatives within the Library IT division related to service models, cross-divisional workflows, training, assessment, library analytics, and discovery and delivery systems
- Promotes the adoption of technology policies and standards around user interface design, accessibility, and content governance
- Coordinates IT project and resource stewardship initiatives
- Oversees library web services including the library web site, Intranet, in-house and vendor-based cross-platform search and discovery systems, library staff workflow and content tools