Keep reading and researching
Current Page Path
Alexandra Peterson Rivera
My work resides in two key areas.
Serve as the library liaison to the UM Detroit Center providing research assistance and developing and delivering resources, services, and instruction to UM students, faculty, staff, and community partners.
Coordinate the Library's K-12 initiatives that support the University's goal to strengthen the K12 pipeline to college. Collaborate with K-12 educators to meet their learning goals for their students by providing information literacy instruction and creating resources that help with their academic success.
Manage the Peer Information Counseling (PIC) Program, a peer assisted learning initaitive founded in 1985. This program is intended to improve learning outcomes for culturally diverse students and in general offer a successful research and learning experience for new or returning students. The Peer Information Counselors are undergraduate students from culturallly diverse backgrounds who are trained in strategies to foster information literacy and academic success.
- M.L.I.S., 2004 University of Michigan, School of Information
- B.S., 1995 Northern Arizona University, Communications - Broadcasting and Production
- American Library Association (ALA) Spectrum Scholar (2001)
- Association of Research Libraries Leadership and Career Development Program Fellowship (2011/12)
- ALA Equality Award Recipient (2018)
- ALA Councilor at Large (2012- present)
- ALA Nominating Committee, Chair (2017-2019)
- Association of College and Research Libraries - Univeristy Libraries Section, Past Chair (Chair 2017/18)
- Joint Council of Librarians of Color, Inc., Board of Directors, Vice-President (2016 - present)
- Serve as library liason to the UM's Detroit Center. Coordinate a Library Research Lab providing access to Spatial Numeric Data Services and other library resources
- Reference assistance both in-person and chat reference
- Instruction - Detroit Center and Ann Arbor Campus
- Encourage collaborations between the UM Library and the K-12 community including the Michigan Debate Institute
- Collaborate closely with UM's outreach and retention programs including UM's Comprehensive Studies Program and the Office of Academic and Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI)
For detailed information please see - Rivera - Curriculum Vitae 2019