Retired Faculty and Staff - Borrowing

How to Get Borrowing Privileges | Expiration Date of Borrowing Privileges | Borrowing Rules & Privileges | Information for Emeriti Faculty | Return of Material | How to Renew an Item | Library Notices

All official University of Michigan - Ann Arbor retired faculty and staff are eligible for free library borrowing privileges from the University Library. To obtain library borrowing privileges, individuals should visit Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services (Room 104, Hatcher Graduate Library North).   Those University of Michigan – Flint and University of Michigan – Dearborn retired faculty and staff who want to borrow library materials from the Ann Arbor University Library system should contact the Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services (see contact information below).  For Flint and Dearborn library borrowing privileges, contact the library circulation staff at those libraries.

How to Get Borrowing Privileges:

Bring your MCard for proof of your prior faculty or staff status to the Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services desk any time that the Hatcher Graduate Library is open.  Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services is located at Room 104 Hatcher Graduate Library North.  If you do not have an MCard, please bring a state-issued photo ID with your current address.   

Expiration date of borrowing privileges:

University Library borrowing privileges for retired faculty and staff expire one year from date of issuance. Come to the Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services to renew your borrowing privileges.

Borrowing Rules and Privileges:

As U-M retired faculty member or staff member, your University Library borrowing privileges allow you to borrow unlimited, circulating books from the University Library system.  It does not allow you to borrow items from the U-M-Ann Arbor Kresge Business Library or Law Library.

Retired faculty members may borrow University Library materials typically for one academic term; retired staff may borrow materials for three weeks.  However, borrowing periods and renewal polices vary by campus library, so please check with circulation staff in those libraries for details.

Retired faculty and staff may access most of the University Library’s resources from within the Ann Arbor campus libraries, but off-campus access to online resources is not provided due to resource licensing restrictions.

Information for Emeriti Faculty

Faculty who retire with the status of emeritus or emerita continue with their library privileges unchanged.  Emeritus faculty library borrowing privileges are automatically renewed every year, as well as access to online library resources.

Return of Material:

Materials checked out at any University Library can be returned to any other library in the system. Please do not return University Library books to Kresge Business Library or to the Law Library.  For your convenience, there are two return drop boxes that are accessible from a car. One is at the Shapiro Library. The drop box is on the northwest side of the building and is accessible from the driveway that runs between the Clements and Shapiro Libraries. The other is on North Campus. It is located in the circular driveway at the front of Pierpont Commons.

How to Renew an Item:

You can renew the borrowing period for a book you have checked out via your Library Catalog Search account, after a successful login. Instructions for renewing your books via Library Catalog Search can be found here.  Alternatively, you can send an email message to Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services, asking to renew your books.  If you are on campus, you can visit any University Library circulation service desk to request a book renewal.

Library Notices:

The University Library regularly sends notices regarding overdue books, materials ready for pick-up, books recalled by other patrons, etc. via email. Contact staff in Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services ( or 734-764-0400) if your email address changes.

Please note:

Borrowing privileges will be suspended if regular circulating materials are kept for 50 days or more beyond their due date, or if a recalled item is one day overdue.  Privileges will be restored only after the items have been returned.


Please contact Hatcher Graduate Library Circulation Services at 734-764-0400 for additional information and assistance.

Give feedback about this page
Last modified: 06/28/2018