Standard Work Schedules
- Provide orderly and efficient service.
- Provide regularly recurring consecutive hours of work where practicable.
- Avoid overtime.
Supervisors may provide written approval for employees to:
- Establish daily schedules outside the typical office schedule, and
- Adjust their normal schedule on a given day to compensate for special needs which arise, as long as such action does not impair the efficiency of the unit or incur overtime compensation. (See Overtime, and SPG 201.38)
Library staff are expected and encouraged to devote a portion of their work time to professional development activities, consistent with their ability to perform their job duties and in consultation with their supervisor.
Alternate Work Schedules
Employees may submit requests for alternate schedules to their supervisor. Typically, requests are made by email or memo and are initiated by the employee.
Supervisors may, at their option, grant such requests as long as they maintain adequate supervision, coverage of public service areas, and unit efficiency. Staff members who request schedule changes should remember that supervisors may not grant requests that hinder unit operations.
The following applies to alternate schedules:
- Eligibility - An alternate work schedule is available to all regular employees, except bargained-for employees, with the permission of their supervisor.
- University Holidays - All employees are encouraged to return to a standard schedule for the week of any paid University holiday.
- Overtime - Overtime accrues only if the staff member works more than 40 hours per calendar week. (See Overtime, and SPG 201.38)
- Vacation and Sick Time - These benefits are calculated on the basis of an eight-hour day. Thus employees who miss two 10-hour days due to illness will have 2.5 days (20 hours) worth of sick or vacation time charged against their accrual. Employees may make up time only during the calendar week of their absence, and only with the supervisor’s permission.
- Rest Periods - Employees receive no extra break when on an extended work day.
- Lunch Periods - Employees may choose to split their meal periods into two segments taken at different times of the day. These segments may not be combined with rest periods. Supervisor approval is required.
Additional related policies: