The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

An Appreciation

Warrens Plimpton Lombard
The Michigan Alumnus 503

An Appreciation by Wilfred B. Shaw, 
 '04, Director of Alumni Relations


Alumni of the Medical School of
 the University will regret to learn
 of the death of Dr. Warren P. Lombard in Ann Arbor on July 13. Dr. 
Lombard, who came to the University 
as Professor of Physiology and His
tology in 1892, was one of the group of
 distinguished medical men who, under 
the leadership of Dr. Victor C. 
 Vaughan, gave Michigan's Medical 
School its wide reputation as a leader 
in the inauguration of modern methods
 of medical instruction. 


Dr. Lombard's earlier life had been
 spent in the East, where he was born
in West Newton, Massachusetts, May 
29, 1855. After attending the Boston
 and Newton public schools, he entered
 
Harvard College, from which he was 
graduated in 1878, receiving his medi
cal degree from Harvard Medical 
School three years later.


During his long years of teaching 
in the University, Dr. Lombard was
 active in the scientific and scholarly
 development of the School and in the 
promotion of research. He was one of 
the founders of the American Physiological Society, and at a recently cele
brated Fiftieth Anniversary of the or
ganization at Baltimore, he was espe
cially honored, as a former Secretary, 
 member of the Executive Council, and
 President of the organization. He was
 also an active member of the Univer
sity Research Club and has written
 a history of the Club for the forth-
coming Encyclopedia of the University. 
He was also a member of the Society
 for Experimental Biology and Medi
cine, a corresponding member of the
 Societe de Biologie, and an associate
 member of the Societe Royale des
 Science Medicales et Naturelles de
 Bruxelles. 


Dr. Lombard's career in his chosen 
field, however, represented only part 
of his wide interests. Throughout his
 life he was a public-spirited citizen and
 for some years was Chairman of the
 Ann Arbor Red Cross, as well as President at one time of the Ann Arbor Art
 Association. He was also Chairman of 
the General Committee on Arrange
ments at the time of the three-day 
Celebration at the inauguration of 
President Burton. 


Dr. Lombard retired from his pro
fessorship in 1923, at which time he
 donated to the University his large
 medical library, which is kept in a 
special room in the East Wing of the 
Medical Building, and for which he 
kept up subscriptions to a large num
ber of medical journals.


In more recent years, Dr. Lombard
 received wide recognition as an ama
teur etcher, which he first took up as 
an avocation a few years before his 
retirement. So successful did he be
come that many of his prints, a large
 number representing views on Monhe
gan Island where he spent his summers, have been shown in many na
tional exhibitions in New York, Chi
cago, and Detroit. He was also honored
 with several one-man shows of his
 work. A consistent patron of the fine
 arts throughout his life, he was a dis
criminating collector of the outstand
ing work of other etchers.


Dr. Lombard was married on June
 21, 1883, to Carolyn Cook of Staten
 Island, New York, who helped to make 
their home on Washtenaw Avenue a
 stimulating and gracious center of stu
dent and faculty life. Mrs. Lombard
 died February 19, 1923. They had no 
children. 


To those who knew him well, it is 
difficult to realize that Dr. Lombard, 
 so long a figure in Ann Arbor life, 
 is gone. He was truly a great gentleman 
in the finest sense of that word. His 
high ideals, his kind and sympathetic
 personality, and his keen intellectual 
interests, all gave him a unique and
 loved place in University and Ann
 Arbor life.