The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Former Dean Honored As New Ship Is Launched


Victor C. Vaughan
The Michigan Alumnus 166

When the S. S. Victor C. Vaughan
 was launched at Portland, Oregon, on September 12, there was given 
to this famous Dean of Michigan's
 Medical School and former Army Surgeon a further recognition of his distin
guished career. Already there has been
 chronicled in THE MICHIGAN ALUM
NUS, in the issue of October 23, 1943, 
the naming of the Vaughan General 
Hospital, a new unit of the Army's great 
system of hospitals over the country. 


The S. S. Victor C. Vaughan slid
 down the ways of the Oregon Shipbuild
ing Corporation at 1:15 o'clock on the
 afternoon of September 12, after only 
sixteen days of construction. It spent
 seven days in the basin and was deliv
ered to the Maritime Commission on
 September 19, two months and seven 
days ahead of the contract date. From
 the day the keel was laid until delivery
 just twenty-three days elapsed. 


The name Victor C. Vaughan was 
given to this new craft in Uncle Sam's
 fleet upon federal order. Dr. Vaughan
 was one of several distinguished American men of medicine named by a spe
cial commission delegated to choose
 those men to be so honored.


Mrs. Gwen A. Sutton christened the 
ship, being a member of the christening 
party selected appropriately from the
 Emanuel Hospital in Portland.