The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Richard Lee Sears
Regent's Proceedings 120

Richard L. Sears, professor of art, will retire from active faculty status on December 31, 1989, after a productive career as an artist and teacher.

Professor Sears received his B.A. degree in art from Santa Barbara College in 1949 and his M.A. degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1951. He taught drawing and painting at the University of California and the California School of Fine Arts in San Francisco until 1953, when he joined the faculty of the former College of Architecture and Design at the University of Michigan as an instructor of art. A teacher of drawing, painting, and aqueous media in the School of Art, Professor Sears was promoted to assistant professor in 1957, associate professor in 1965, and professor in 1970. His dedication to teaching, combined with his rapport with students, has resulted in influencing students in a highly successful manner.

Professor Sears conducted painting research in Rome as the recipient of a Rackham Research Grant. Over the years, he also exhibited widely across the country. His one-man shows included the Santa Barbara Museum in Santa Barbara, California, and the University of Michigan Museum of Art. Other shows included the San Francisco Art Association Annual, the Michigan Watercolor Society, Lever House in New York City, and the Sears Tower in Chicago.

The Regents now salute this distinguished artist and teacher for his contributions and dedication by naming Richard L. Sears Professor Emeritus of Art.