The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Myra G. Larson
Regent's Proceedings 31

Myra G. Larson, professor of art in the School of Art and Design, retired
from active faculty status on May 31, 1996, after a productive career as an
artist, designer, and teacher.

Professor Larson received her B.S. degree from Kansas State University in
1952, her M.A. degree from the University of Michigan in 1960, her
certificate in environmental design from the University of Oslo in 1962, her
Ph.D. degree from the University of Michigan in 1970, and certificates in
public art and liveable cities from the Harvard Graduate School of Design in
1979 and 1988. She worked as a Hallmark Cards designer, teacher, art
director, and freelance designer prior to joining the University of Michigan
as a lecturer in 1967. She was promoted to instructor in 1969, assistant
professor in 1971, associate professor in 1974, and professor in 1982.

In addition to art education, Professor Larson taught "Art and Community
Development," an interdisciplinary exploration and analysis of the aesthetic,
social, and economic aspects of environmental design in community
development, whose enrollment included art, engineering, and law students.
A longtime proponent of public art, Professor Larson was also a pioneer in
collaborative endeavors. In 1978, she organized one of the first invitational
research conferences held at the University involving art and business. The
conference was held in conjunction with an exhibition, "The Artist and the
American Corporation," and hosted in the Slusser Gallery.

A dedicated teacher, Professor Larson had a rapport with students that
yielded very successful results. Over the years, she invited numerous
distinguished speakers and scholars to lecture on campus and received a
grant from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching to host an
important symposium featuring world-renowned sculptor Isamu Noguchi.
She served on a number of University-wide committees and co-chaired
several doctoral thesis committees. Professor Larson also lectured nation
wide to alumni groups.

The Regents now salute this distinguished artist, designer, and teacher for
her dedicated service by naming Myra G. Larson professor emerita of art.