The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Jon N. Rush
Regent's Proceedings 215

Jon N. Rush, M.F.A., professor of art in the School of Art & Design, retired
from active faculty status on December 31, 2006.

Professor Rush received his B.F.A. and M.F.A. degrees from the Cranbrook
Academy of Art in 1958 and 1959, respectively. From 1959-62, he served as
an instructor at the Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus, Ohio.
He joined the faculty at the University of Michigan as an instructor in art in
1962, and was promoted to assistant professor in 1964, associate professor in
1968, and professor in 1973.

A widely respected sculptor and educator, Professor Rush's innovations have
had a continuing impact on students. He was among a handful of artists to
learn the secrets of lost wax bronze casting and to introduce this technique at
American art schools. Building on his experiences at the Columbus College
of Art and Design, Professor Rush co-designed the School of Art & Design's
first truly professional foundry. He developed an extensive metal fabrication
area as well, bringing industrial metal cutting and forming machines to the
school for the first time.

Throughout his career at the University of Michigan, Professor Rush has
been an active citizen of the University and an impassioned advocate for
faculty governance. He served as a representative of the Senate Advisory
Committee on University Affairs and as a member of the Senate Assembly's
Academic Affairs Advisory Committee. He was the director of the Slusser
Gallery from 1994-95 and designed the Wallenberg Medal, awarded
annually to outstanding humanitarians. Three of his sculptures can be found
on the Ann Arbor campus.

The Regents now salute this distinguished artist and educator for his
dedicated service by naming Jon N. Rush professor emeritus of art.