The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Halvor N. Christensen
Regents' Proceedings 712

Halvor N. Christensen, Professor of Biological Chemistry, will retire from active faculty status as of June 30, 1986, after a highly productive career as a teacher and scientific investigator.

A native of Nebraska, Professor Christensen took undergraduate studies at Kearney State College in Keamey, Nebraska. He then received his M.S. degree from Purdue University in 1937, and his Ph.D. degree from Harvard University in 1940.

Upon completion of his doctoral studies, Professor Christensen accepted a position as a biochemist at Lederle Laboratories in Pearle River, New York from 1940-42. He was an instructor in Biological Chemistry at Harvard Medical School from 1942-44. In 1944, Professor Christensen was the director of a chemical laboratory at Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, New York, remaining there until 1947. He returned to Harvard Medical School in 1947-48 as an assistant professor and director of the Department of Research Chemistry at Children's Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts. He then went to Tufts University in Boston as professor and chairman of the Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, where he served until 1955.

Professor Christensen came to The University of Michigan as chairman and professor of biological chemistry. He stepped down as chairman in 1970, and has been vigorous in research and teaching since that time. His leadership has contributed strongly to the present strength of the Department of Biological Chemistry, and he is known internationally for his innovative research contributions in the area of biological transport.

The Regents now salute this distinguished scientist and health educator for his dedicated service by naming Halvor N. Christensen Professor Emeritus of Biological Chemistry.