The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Albert J. Weber
Regent's Proceedings 1081

Albert J Weber, Professor of Art in the School of Art, retired from active
faculty status on December 31, 1986, following a most prolific career as an
artist, teacher, and researcher at The University of Michigan.

A native of Chicago, Professor Weber attended Northwestern University
from 1939-40 and the University of Chicago from 1948-52. He received a
B.F.A. degree in 1950 from the School of Art Institute of Chicago. In 1952,
he received a M.A.A. degree, magna cum laude, in painting and art history
from the Centro de Estudios Universitarios, Mexico City College, Mexico.

That same year, he was the recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship for study in
Latin America. Appointed to the faculty of The University of Michigan in
1955 as an instructor of painting and drawing, he was promoted to assistant
professor in 1959, associate professor in 1963, and professor in 1968.

Within the School of Art, Professor Weber served as chairman of the
counseling committee, and as a member of the scheduling, scholarship, and
exhibition committees. He was active in recruitment and counseling of
students, working diligently to recruit quality students to The University of
Michigan. An avid researcher and traveler, Professor Weber was the
recipient of six Horace H. Rackham faculty research grants. He was a
vigorous exhibitor, who exhibited both nationally and internationally. His
work is included in many permanent collections, including those of the Ford
Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan, the Smithsonian Institute Archives
of American Art, the Butler Institute of American Art, and the Carnegie
Institute in Pittsburgh. He has been a member of the Ann Arbor Art
Association, and has also served as a juror for many local artist' groups.

The Regents now acknowledge the contributions of this distinguished
faculty member for his dedicated service by naming Albert J. Weber
Professor Emeritus of Art.