The Library Copyright Office created these copyright modules in order to empower students to make informed decisions regarding the works they create and others' works they use. Please feel free to adapt the modules for your needs.
Both modules cover the basics of U.S. copyright law. The long version can be completed in approximately 30 min, while the short version takes about 20 minutes to complete.
Here are the main topics covered by the modules:
- The difference between plagiarism and copyright infringement
- What is copyrightable and what is not
- The public domain (i.e. things no longer subject to copyright)
- Permissible uses under US copyright law
- When it is necessary to secure permission before you use a work
If you have questions about these modules, please email the Library Copyright Office.