Current Page Path
Browse results for: English Language and Literature in Databases
Highly Recommended Databases
1 - 4 of 4
- MLA International Bibliography
Indexes books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and film.
Provides full-text access to the archives of core scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, social sciences and sciences.
- Early English Books Online (EEBO)
Early English EEBO contains digital facsimile page images of works printed between 1473 and 1700.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online - Text Creation Partnership (ECCO-TCP)
The ECCO collection consists of the works represented in the English Short Title Catalogue between 1701 and 1800.
1 - 130 of 130
- African American Poetry (Chadwyck-Healey version)
African American Poetry contains nearly 3,000 poems by African American poets of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
- African Writers Series
The African Writers Series offers access to key works from the highly acclaimed Heinemann's African Writers Series. This series ...
- American Drama 1714-1915
Containing more than 1,500 dramatic works from the colonial period to the beginning of the twentieth century, American Drama 1714–1915 i ...
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
Free online version with audio word pronunciations. Includes grammatical usage and etymologies with definitions.
- American Indian Histories and Culture
Full text database of manuscripts, artwork, and rare printed books.
- American Jewess
A digital reproduction of the 8 volumes of "The American Jewess".
- American Poetry (Chadwyck-Healey version)
American Poetry contains over 40,000 poems by more than 200 poets, covering the Colonial period to the early twentieth century, and ...
- American Poetry Database (DLPS version)
Full-text access to the works of the most influential American poets, from the Colonial period to the early 20th century.
- American Verse Project
Full-text electronic archive of selected volumes of American poetry prior to 1920.
- American West
A primary source database that includes manuscripts, maps, broadsides, and a variety of ephemeral works.
- American Women Writers: A Critical Reference Guide from Colonial Times to the Present
Contains biographical and critical essays on 1,328 American women writers covering all genres and all periods of American history. ...
A guide to historical records, personal papers, and family histories held in archives around the world. Contains nearly a million ...
- Artemis Literary Sources
Combined full text of 2 million+ essays, reviews, biographies, timelines, etc. on all types & periods of literature worldwide.
- Artemis Primary Sources
Collection that includes materials from Gale's 18th C. Collections Online and 19th C. Collections Online.
The ARTstor Digital Library provides over 1.5 million digital images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and sciences.
- Bayeux Tapestry Digital Edition
Online edition of the Bayeaux Tapestry.
- BBC Shakespeare Plays
Streaming video of all the plays of Shakespeare. Originally broadcast on BBC2 between 1978 and 1985.
- Bible in English
This database contains twenty-one different versions of the English Bible.
- Bible: King James Version
Original electronic text for this version of the Bible was provided by the Oxford Text Archive.
- Bible: New Testament (Rheims)
This version of the Rheims version of the Bible was prepared by Jeffery Triggs of the OED's North American Reading Program.
- Bible: Revised Standard Version
An online version of the Revised Standard Bible.
- Bibliography of English Women Writers, 1500-1640
A comprehensive record of scholarship on 738 known women writers and their texts,
- Black Drama
Contains full text of 1,200 English plays ca. 1850-present by more than 100 playwrights from North America, Africa, and the Caribbean.
- Black Drama: Second Edition
Contains 1,460 full text English plays ca. 1850-present by more than 250 playwrights from North America, Africa, and the Caribbean.
- Black Short Fiction and Folklore from Africa and the African Diaspora
Approximately 8,000 works of short fiction produced by writers from Africa and the African Diaspora from the earliest times to the present.
- Book of Mormon
The electronic text of the Book of Mormon was provided by Project Gutenberg and subsequently marked up at the HTI in SGML.
- British Literary Manuscripts, Medieval to 1900
An online collection of British literary manuscripts
- British Periodicals
ProQuest's British Periodicals Collections I and II
- British Periodicals
ProQuest's British Periodicals Collections I and II
- British Women Romantic Poets
The British Women Romantic Poets Project is a collection of electronic text editions of poetry by British and Irish women.
- Brut Chronicle
The medieval prose Brut is a chronicle of England named after its first hero, Brutus, a descendent of Aeneas and the founder of Britain.
- C19: The Nineteenth Century Index
C19 is a bibliography for 19th-century research
- Canadian Poetry
Canadian Poetry has been created and published in collaboration with the Electronic Text Centre at the University of New Brunswick ...
- Chadwyck-Healey Literature Collections
Portal to the following full-text American and English literature databases: * AFRICAN AMERICAN POETRY * AMERICAN POETRY * AMERICAN ...
- Complete Works and Letters of Jane Austen
Full text of Jane Austen's works and letters published by Oxford University Press.
- Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson
A digital edition of the Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Centenary Edition, edited and with notes by Edward Waldo Emerson.
- Contemporary Authors
A full-text bio-bibliographical guide to over 100,000 current and recently prominent writers in all media--fiction, poetry, drama, ...
- Contemporary Novelists
Concise discussions of the lives and principal works of contemporary novelists, written by subject experts.
- Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse
A collection of Middle English texts including Chaucer's Canterbury Tales & Troilus and Criseyde, and Langland's Piers Plowman.
- DARE: Dictionary of American Regional English
An online edition of the Dictionary of American Regional English
- Database of African American Poetry (DLPS version)
This database contains the full-text of 54 African-American poets writing in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
- Database of Twentieth Century African American Poetry (DLPS version)
Modern and contemporary African American poetry includes collected poems and individual volumes.
- Database of Twentieth Century American Poetry (DLPS version)
Contains selected modern and contemporary American poetry from the early twentieth century to the present.
- Dictionary of Irish Biography
The Dictionary of Irish Biography, a collaborative project between Cambridge University Press and the Royal Irish Academy, is the most ...
- Dictionary of Literary Biography
Contains full text essays outlining the lives and careers of American and British authors from all eras and genres and summarizing the ...
- Dictionary of Old English
Dictionary of the Old English language.
- Dictionary of Old English Corpus
Online database consisting of at least one copy of every surviving Old English text.
- Early American Fiction 1789-1850
Chadwyck-Healey has partnered with the University of Virginia Library, who in 1996 received a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon ...
- Early American Imprints, Series I: Evans, 1639-1800 & Series I: Supplement
Page images and searchable full-text of Early American Imprints, Series I Evans & Series I Supplement.
- Early American Imprints, Series II: Shaw-Shoemaker, 1801-1819 & Series II: Supplement
Provides full-text access to American books, pamphlets and broadsides published in the first nineteen years of the nineteenth century, ...
- Early English Books Online - Text Creation Partnership (EEBO-TCP)
The Early English Books Online corpus consists of the works represented in the English Short Title Catalog I and II.
- Early English Prose Fiction (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Early English Prose Fiction is a balanced and representative survey of fictional prose in English from the period 1500–1700.
- Early English Prose Fiction (DLPS version)
The Early English Prose Fiction collection contains over 200 works of prose fiction dating from 1500-1700.
- Editions and Adaptations of Shakespeare (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Contains eleven major editions from the First Folio of 1623 to the Cambridge edition of 1863–66.
- Editions and Adaptations of Shakespeare (DLPS version)
Contains eleven major editions, from the First Folio of 1623 to the Cambridge edition of 1863-6.
- Eighteenth Century Fiction (DLPS version)
Eighteenth Century Fiction includes 77 complete works in English prose from the period 1700-1780, by writers from the British Isles.
- Eighteenth Century Journals
Literary, political, religious and social journals for the long 18th century
- Eighteenth-Century Fiction (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Eighteenth-Century Fiction brings together 96 works of English prose from the period 1700–1780 by writers from the British Isles.
- English Drama (Chadwyck-Healey version)
English Drama contains more than 3,900 plays in verse and prose from the late thirteenth century to the early twentieth.
- English Historical Documents Online
Online collection of over 5,000 historical documents
- English Poetry Database (DLPS version)
This database comprises the works of almost 1,350 poets from 600-1900.
- English Poetry, Second Edition (Chadwyck-Healey version)
English Poetry, Second Edition redefines the English poetic canon for the 21st century, building on the achievement of the original.
- English Prose Drama (DLPS version)
English Prose Drama contains more than 1,600 plays written by more than 350 different authors.
- English Short Title Catalogue (British Library)
The 'English Short Title Catalogue' (ESTC) is a comprehensive, international union catalogue listing early books, serials, newspapers ...
- English Verse Drama (DLPS version)
English Verse Drama contains more than 2,000 works by around 450 named authors and approximately 230 anonymous works.
- Essay and General Literature Index
Indexes articles in books (anthologies and essay collections) in the humanities and social sciences published in the US, UK & Canada.
- European Literature, 1790-1840: The Corvey Collection
Digital archive of rare British Romantic-era writing contained in the Corvey Collection.
- Evans Early American Imprint Collection - Text Creation Partnership (Evans-TCP)
The Evans collection consists of the works represented in the American Bibliography by Charles Evans.
- Faber Poetry Library (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Contains the works of 50 poets comprising 140 volumes of poetry. The authors are all part of the Faber Poetry list and the database ...
- Faber Poetry Library (DLPS version)
Contains the full-text of more than four thousand poems by over 40 British, Irish, and post-colonial poets of the twentieth century, ...
- First World War Poetry Digital Archive
The First World War Poetry Digital Archive is an online repository of over 4000 items of text, images, audio, and video for teaching, ...
- The First World War: Personal Experiences and Propaganda
Full-text primary source database of source material for the study of the First World War.
- Frontier Life: Borderlands, Settlement & Colonial Encounter
Digital collection of primary source materials covering 1650-1920
- Gale Literary Databases
Simultaneous search of three resources: Contemporary Authors, Contemporary Literary Criticism Select, and Dictionary of Literary Biography
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Provides online access to over 1,300 reference works from Gale, Macmillan, and other publishers.
- Helsinki Corpus
This collection consists of a selection of texts covering the Old, Middle, and Early Modern English periods.
- Hengwrt Chaucer Digital Facsimile
Digital Facsimile of the Hengwrt Chaucer (edited by Estelle Stubbs)
- Hyperbibliography of Middle English
The HyperBibliography includes all the Middle English materials which are cited in the Middle English Dictionary.
- Lexicons of Early Modern English (LEME)
Historical database of lexicons from circa 1400-1702.
- Literary Research Guide: An Annotated Listing of Reference Sources in English Literary Studies (6th Edition)
An electronic edition of James Harner's guide to reference sources in English literary studies.
- Literature Criticism Online
Provides extensive excerpts from critical reviews of all kinds & periods of literature worldwide, searchable by author & work.
- Literature Resource Center: Reference Works
Provides access to biographies, bibliographies, and critical analyses of authors from every age and literary discipline. Combines ...
- London Review of Books
Online access to all articles in all issues of the literary magazine with the largest circulation in Europe. Publishes intellectual ...
- Mark Twain Project Online
The project's purpose is to produce a digital critical edition, fully annotated, of everything Mark Twain wrote
- Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE)
The Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken English (MICASE) is a collection of nearly 1.8 million words of transcribed speech from UM.
- Michigan Early Modern English Materials
The Materials consist of citations collected for the modal verbs and certain other English words for the Early Modern English Dictionary.
- Middle English Compendium
Offers easy access to three major Middle English electronic resources.
- Middle English Dictionary
This electronic version of the MED preserves the details of the print MED, but goes beyond this, by converting its contents into a database.
- Milton: A Bibliography (1624-1799)
Bibliography of the English writer John Milton which includes manuscripts, editions, criticism, allusions, quotations, and imitations.
- Modern American Literature
Contains excerpts by noted critics on 489 of the most significant American authors of the twentieth century. Each author entry gathers ...
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online
Digital primary source collections of the long nineteenth century.
- Nineteenth-Century Fiction (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Nineteenth-Century Fiction collects 250 British and Irish novels from the period 1782 to 1903, stretching from the golden age of Gothic ...
- North American Theatre Online
A major initiative to provide detailed reference information for theatrical figures, plays, theatres, and more.
- Orlando: Women's Writing in the British Isles from the Beginnings to the Present
Orlando includes entries on authors' lives and writing careers, contextual material, timelines, and bibliographies.
- Oxford Companion to Shakespeare
An authoritative guide to Shakespeare's plays and poems and their interpretation around the world over the last four centuries.
- Oxford English Dictionary (Second Edition)
Previous (1989) edition of the most complete and authoritative dictionary of the English language. (Superceded by new third edition.)
- Oxford English Dictionary (Third Edition)
Current web version of the most complete and authoritative dictionary of the English language, with historical quotations.
- Oxford Handbooks Online
Database of over 25,000 articles from more than 700 handbooks published by OUP across 14 subject areas.
- Oxford Reference Online
Nearly 400 dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
- Parker Library on the Web (Medieval Manuscripts)
Web-based workspace for working with Parker Medieval Manuscript Library (Cambridge)
- Periodicals Index Online
Indexes over 7,000 arts, humanities & social science journals, from their first issues through 2000.
- Play Index
Covers more than 31,000 plays published individually or in collections from 1949 to the present, written in or translated into English.
- Poetry Here and Then
A sampling of the papers of Michigan poets from various collections housed at the Bentley Historical Library.
- Public Ledger (Philadelphia), 1836-1876
Searchable online edition of the Public Ledger from Philadelphia (1836-1876)
- Punch Historical Archive, 1841-1992
Online archive of the British periodical Punch
- Radical Scatters
Radical Scatters is a collection containing Emily Dickinson's late fragments and related texts.
- Riverside Shakespeare
The full text of the complete works of Shakespeare as presented in the standard scholarly edition edited by G. Blakemore Evans.
- Romanticism: Life, Literature and Landscape
Digital collection of manuscripts by William Wordsworth and his contemporaries.
Rotunda is a digital collection of critical and documentary editions.
- Samuel Beckett Digital Manuscript Project
A digital archive of Samuel Beckett's manuscripts
- Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language
This resource includes the full text of both the 1755 and the 1773 editions of A Dictionary of the English Language by Samuel Johnson.
- Scottish Women Poets
Includes full text of some 60 volumes of poetry from approximately 50 poets from 1789 to 1832.
- Scribner’s Writers Online Series
Scribner’s Writers Series has biographical and critical essays on authors from around the world.
- Shakespeare First Folio and Several Quartos
Shakespeare's first folio contains thirty-six plays and was published originally in 1623.
- Shakespeare in Performance
Prompt Books from the Folger Shakespeare Library
- Short Story Index
An index to more than 250,000 short stories written in or translated into English, including full text for 5,000 of them.
Online version of Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (3rd ed.).
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive, 1902-2008
Full digital version of the Times Literary Supplement from 1902 through 2008.
- Twayne’s Author Series
The Twayne’s Author Series ebooks provide in-depth critical introductions to the lives and works of the major writers of the world.
- Twentieth-Century African American Poetry (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Twentieth-Century African American Poetry is a collection of poetry written by the most important and influential African American poets.
- Twentieth-Century American Poetry (Chadwyck-Healey version)
Twentieth-Century American Poetry is a collection of poetry which allows readers a survey of modern and contemporary American poetry.
- UK Press Online
Online access to 19th through 20th century British Newspapers
- W. B. Yeats Collection (Chadwyck-Healey version)
The W.B. Yeats Collection contains the major work of W.B. Yeats in all genres, including poetry, plays, criticism and fiction.
- W. B. Yeats Collection (DLPS version)
Contains the major works of William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) in all genres, including poetry, plays, criticism, and fiction.
- Wellesley Index to Victorian Periodicals, 1824-1900
Wellesley is an index to the authorship of articles, and a bibliography of articles written by each contributor, and using each ...
- William Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience
This is a transcription of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience, published in London in 1794.
- Women Writers Online
Contains over 230 texts by pre-Victorian women that can be browsed, searched and analysed. Additionally, Renaissance Women Online ...
- World Shakespeare Bibliography Online
Provides annotated entries for all scholarly and popular materials related to Shakespeare and published or produced between 1960 and 2013.
- Wright American Fiction, 1851-1875
Full-text electronic archive based on the bibliography compiled by Lyle Wright. Consists of 2,887 novels and other works of fiction by ...
- Writers Directory 2005
This comprehensive resource features up-to-date bibliographical, biographical, and contact information for thousands of living authors ...