Mblem, a digital credentialing and badging system, was developed in 2014 by the former Learning Technologies Incubation Group (LTIG) within Library Information Technology. It was piloted by several campus units for several years.
The Mblem service was retired on April 5, 2019.
If you are interested in badging at the University of Michigan, please consider the Badgr integration in Canvas. If you are looking to confirm a badge you believe you earned in MBlem, contact email@example.com.
Why Mblem was Retired
In 2016, a team within the U-M Library investigated Mblem’s need and use at the library and on campus more broadly, as well as the requirements for successful and sustainable badging at U-M. In 2017, Library Information Technology determined that Mblem should be retired based on the following rationale:
• Mblem experienced diminishing use over its existence
• Other badging options are available:
- Badgr is open source and is now integrated within Canvas
- Credly has been a popular choice for years
- Open Passport is a broadening of Purdue's internal Passport initiative
- Learn more about about Open Badges and many of the services for issuing them
For More Info
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.