- Alternative Titles
- Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics Online
The Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics offers a systematic and comprehensive overview of the languages of China and the different ways in which they are and have been studied. It provides authoritative treatment of all important aspects of the languages spoken in China, today and in the past, from many different angles, as well as the different linguistic traditions they have been investigated in. In more than 450 articles, written by the major specialists in the field, it offers a synthesis of the most important research in Chinese linguistics and provides adequate and up to date bibliographical coverage.
As such it is the reference source for information on:
• the Sinitic and non-Sinitic languages of China including Sign Languages: their lexicon, syntax and sound structure
• their history and situation today
• the writing systems: their emergence, development, spread and use today
• the history of Chinese linguistics, both the indigenous and the western traditions
• the sociolinguistic situation, language contact and language variation
• psycho- and neurolinguistic studies on Chinese, including first language acquisition
• second language acquisition and language pedagogy
• and many other aspects of Chinese and Chinese linguistics (e.g., Chinese in the diaspora, Chinese loanwords in other languages, history of lexicography, etc.).
- Stable URL
- More Information