Includes over 70,000 digitized images selected from the UM History of Art's collection of over 750,000 slides, photographs, and reproductions of works of art from all periods and places.
Combined access to 50+ ProQuest databases, including full text journals, historical newspapers and corporate reports, and specialized indexes for many different fields, including: Arts, Business, Engineering, Health Sciences, History, Humanities, Literature & Language, News & Current Events, Science, Social Sciences, and Dissertations & Theses. Among the included databases: ABI/INFORM, American Periodicals Series (APS), Environmental Science & Pollution Management, Ethnic NewsWatch, OxResearch, ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, ProQuest Historical Annual Reports, ProQuest Historical Newspapers, ProQuest Research Library, ProQuest Technology Collection, and Zoological Record Plus. Includes all databases from CSA (Cambridge Scientific Abstracts).
Contains over 100,000 annotated references to articles from over 450 design and craft journals published worldwide; plus data on over 46,000 designers, craftspeople, studios, workshops, firms, etc.
Abstracts of articles, books, essays, exhibition catalogs & reviews, and dissertations covering artists & movements from the late 19th century to all aspects of modern & contemporary art, including photography from its invention in 1839 to the present.
Imageworks is located on the 2nd floor of the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library. The physical collection includes over 3,000 DVDs, VHS tapes, and CD-ROMs; more than 100,000 35mm slides; and numerous blueprints and maps. In addition, there are several thousand high-resolution, royalty-free images available from our Corel CD-ROM collection. We also have a materials collection, currently comprised of 200 samples leased from Material ConneXion.
Our online image collection is accessible via this link: Art, Architecture & Engineering Library Online Images. We are constantly adding to this database in response to curricular needs and with unique gift collections. And, as seen in the Research Guide for Images, we provide access to numerous other digital image databases.
The DVDs, VHS tapes, and CD-ROMs can all be found in Mirlyn. and through the Imageworks Video Database. Other media (35 mm slides, blueprints, etc.) can be searched while in the collection. Staff will be happy to help you find what you need when you visit.
The materials samples are available for in-house browsing. The items currently on display in Imageworks are listed in this database. These samples are a subset of the larger collection viewable in the Material ConneXion database.
Our facility has a flat-screen monitor for individual or group viewing VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray items, along with wireless headphones.
Project tools include a Mac and a PC workstation; flatbed scanner; slide/film scanner; light table; and paper cutter, 3-hole punch, stapler, scissors, pens, etc.
- We can assist with finding quality images, creating image portfolios, and using images in presentation software. In addition, we can offer advice regarding copyright and fair use of images.
- For faculty, we will make digital images from book or journal illustrations. The images are added to our general collection. Please bring your images at least two weeks before you need them for presentation.
- At faculty or GSI request, we will put videos or dvd's on reserve for a course. The material can be viewed at one of several viewing stations in the library.
- To check out materials, users must have a valid University of Michigan ID.
- DVDs and VHS tapes circulate to all users for three days and can be renewed three times.
- Maps and blueprints in reasonable condition circulate for 1 week.
- Faculty may borrow 35mm slides for as long as required for teaching and research. However, as a consideration to other users we request that faculty return images within two weeks.
- Students may borrow 35mm slides for a 1 week period for class presentations.
For further information on finding and using visual resources, please see the Research Guide for Images.