Taubman Health Sciences Library
Please note that many of the materials in our Homeopathy Collection have been digitally scanned, and their full text is available on line. The search interface for the documents available on line is at the following URL: http://www.hti.umich.edu/h/homeop.
This guide was compiled to facilitate locating Taubman Health Sciences Library’s homeopathic materials. As noted above, many items from this collection have been scanned, and are available on line. The search interface for the documents available on line is at the following URL: http://www.hti.umich.edu/h/homeop. The print materials in the Homeopathy Collection have been stored in various places including: Buhr Shelving Facility at Green and Hoover Streets, the Serials and Microfilms department on the second floor of the south section of the Hatcher Graduate Library, the Taubman Health Sciences Library stacks or Rare Book Room, secondary storage on the second floor of Taubman Health Sciences Library, Hatcher Graduate Library, and Bentley Historical Library. The subjects highlighted by the Guide are presented as illustrations of various topics that are available in the collection and by no means constitute an exhaustive list of materials. For further information, please see the Mirlyn library catalog.
The formerly-used printed card catalog, located on the fifth level near the Technical Processing Office of Taubman Health Sciences Library, has drawers #142 and #143 dedicated to the holdings of both monographs and journals in the homeopathic field, with location annotations in many instances. Researchers should also note that delicate or older materials, when not in the Rare Book Room, may have been moved to a storage area, a change not necessarily accurately reflected in the Mirlyn Online Catalog. (Check with staff at Reference desk.)
HISTORY: The homeopathy collection at the University of Michigan originated in the holdings of the Homeopathic Medical College, first established as part of the University in Ann Arbor in 1875 and conducted concurrently with the allopathic Medical School until 1922. There was also a Homeopathic Hospital in existence locally from 1879 until 1891. For a more complete history see:
"The Homeopathic Medical College." In: The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey, edited by Wilfred B. Shaw, vol. 2, pp. 1003-1012. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1994. (Also available electronically)
The Making of the University of Michigan 1817-1992, by Howard H. Peckham, edited and updated by Margaret L. Steneck and Nicholas H. Steneck. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library, 1997.
The collection itself contains items dating from the mid-1800’s to the present day. Of particular interest is the Bradford Homeopathy Collection, which is composed of 1027 pamphlets that detail 75 years of the history and development of the field of homeopathic medicine. Along with the holdings of the former Homeopathic Library, these pamphlets constitute one of the most complete collections on the subject.
Homeopathy (homeo=similar; pathos=suffering) is a system of therapy developed in the early nineteenth century by Samuel Hahnemann, based on the “law of infinitesimal doses” or in similia similibus curantur (likes are cured by likes), which holds that a medical substance that can evoke certain symptoms in healthy people may be effective in the treatment of illnesses having symptoms closely resembling those produced by the substance.1
Click here to view the guide to Homeopathy materials in the Taubman Health Sciences Library
1. Stedman’s Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing (5th ed.,) Baltimore. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2005.