Getting Started in Second Life
Text of Slides
Date/Time: July 11, 2007
Title: Getting Started in Second Life
Presenter: Patricia Anderson, Sharon K. Grayden
Text of Slides:
- Getting Started in Second Life Patricia F. Anderson Sharon K. Grayden © 2007 Regents of the University of Michigan. All rights reserved.
- Naming Your Avatar • You select from a list of last names SL provides • You choose your first name • Names are case-sensitive • Do not use numbers or punctuation in your name • Think about how you will be nicknamed, and what your initials will be • Privacy issues-your RL (real life) name vs your SL (second life) name
- About Orientation Island • First place you land • Where you learn the basics • Plan to spend some time here
- Orientation Island: The Stars
- Orientation Island: Appearance
- Orientation Island: Edit Appearance
- Orientation Island: Communicating • Chatting • History • Instant Message • Gestures • Voice / First Look
- Orientation Island: Communicating: Instant Message & Chat • IM: For private or remote conversations • Chat: For public conversations
- Orientation Island: Communicating: Gestures
- Orientation Island: Communication • Voice is coming – Not as easy to capture transcripts – Captures tonal subtleties and interpretation
- Orientation Island: Walking, flying, driving • Practice makes perfect
- Orientation Island: Searching
- Orientation Island: Searching
- Orientation Island: Leaving
- About Help Island
- Help Island: Freebies & Sandbox & Tutorials, Oh My!
- Where is Home? • When you leave Help Island … • … the very first place you land is automatically set to be your “Home”. • This is true even if it is someone else’s private space. • You can change the location of your “Home” when you own land or are considered a resident of a sim. • To change your “Home”, log in, and under the World menu, choose “Set Home to Here”.
- Like the Way You Look • You don’t always want to look like newbie! Skin, hair, clothes, bling bling . . .
- Free Stuff • GNUbie Store & Yadni’s
- Free Stuff • Freebie Dungeon • Freebie Warehouse
- More Places to Get Free Stuff • Places: – Free Dove - Gallii (115, 58, 32) – Live Action Roleplayers Association - Midge (230, 38, 140) – Landing Spot - Wagaland (110, 120, 31) • FreebieDeeBee (Freebie’s Database) at SLBoutique: http://www.slboutique.com/ • Educational Freebies: – Open SLEdware (Group) – ISTE Idea Library (Place) – SL Boutique (Out-World)
- Unpacking Your Goodies 1 • Open inventory. • Find box of goodies. • Drag box from inventory onto the ground.
- Unpacking Your Goodies 2 • Right-click on box, choose “Open” from pop-up menu. • Choose “Copy to Inventory”. • Items now appear in your personal inventory as items you may wear. • Right-click again on the box on the ground, choose “Take.”
- Is Anyone Around? Check the Mini-map Oops! Someone is right in front of me, I better not change my clothes here.
- Changing Clothes • First, find a private place. • Open inventory. • Then either: • Find item you want to wear. – 1. Drag item onto your avatar. OR – 2. Right- click on item in the inventory list, and choose “Wear” from the pop-up menu.
- Make Outfit • TIP: Take a good look - did you remember your underwear & shoes?
- All Finished - New Look
- Culture & Community Ethics The BIG 6! • Intolerance • Harassment • Assault • Disclosure • Indecency • Disturbing the Peace
- Finding Interesting Groups & Places
- Joining Groups
- Group Messages
- Your Mother Always Warned You • Zones: PG, Mature, Damage-enabled • Griefing – First Say “Please don’t” • Document, take pics, report – Sit Down – Go Home! – Logout • Antigriefing tools & tips (vehicles, scripts, etc.)
- Stay in Safe Places Until You Are Ready – Find safe places: • Search for Shelter • Search for Refuge • Search for Safe • Pay attention to the zone rating – Educational & science sims – Libraries & museums
- Lag - It Oughtta Be A 4-Letter Word • Just a few tips: – Clear cache – Check your hardware to make sure it meets recommended specifications – Check client-side preferences (reduce texture and graphic options, turn off audio, increase cache) • Resources: – http://secondlife.com/tiki/tiki- index.php?page=TechLag – http://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php
- Teaching? Read the FAQ • 2.1 What are the rules on ethics and behavior? • 2.2 Who is it for? • 2.3 How does it work? • 2.4 What are the computer hardware and networking requirements? • 2.5 Are there any age restrictions? • 2.6 What does it cost to bring my students and faculty into Second Life? • 2.7 Can I set up a large permanent private classroom in Second Life and restrict access to just my own students and faculty? • 2.8 I participated in the Campus: Second Life program previously, and now I'd love to have additional classes in Second Life! How can I go about setting up another class without buying a private island? • 2.9 How do I connect with other educators currently working on projects in Second Life? • 2.10 Is there a way for students in my class to communicate with each other using voice chat?
- Links for “Newbies” • Second Life Newbies Tips 2007: http://www.slideshare.net/jokay/newbie-slides/ • Hit the Ground Running in Second Life: http://www.slideshare.net/trottahe/hit-the-ground- running-in-second-life • How to Leave Orientation Island: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6wVRloSc4k • Taking on a Second Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygc95U4fT3Y
- Outworld Tutorials http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Video_Tutorials
- Outworld Tutorials • Curriculum, Technology & Education Reform (CTER) (UIUC): Second Life Tutorials: http://cterport.ed.uiuc.edu/technologies_folder/SL/ • Robin Wood Second Life Tutorials: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL- Tuts/SLTutSet.html • Second Life Wiki: Torley Linden’s List of Video Tutorials: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Video_Tutorials • Also, try searching for specific skills in Second Life in Google Video and YouTube.
- Inworld Tutorials & Learning Groups • Places: – Ivory Tower Library of Primitives, Natoma (207, 170, 25) – Rockliffe University, Rockcliffe I (198, 87, 40) – Second Life Library, Info Island (184, 105, 33) – TeaZer Isle (218, 40, 300) • Groups: – Academy of Second Learning – New Citizens Inc.
- Most Important Tip! Find a Friend (or Several) • – Cyndi Uriza Thanks from Lexi to my friends who answered questions, were generous – Dreamingen Writer with tips (functional & teaching), – Eloise Pasteur shared animations / clothes / landmarks / etc., and otherwise – Geoelder Clary helped me learn about Second Life: – Hodjazz Edman – Marisa Naheed – Jokay Wollangong – Desideria Stockton – Lludmila Mirrikh – Memetic Projects – Eloise Pasteur – Ollie Kubrick – JJ Drinkwater – Sinitta Shepherd – Max Chatnoir – Thumbs Beck – Thursday Xu – Prijian Toland – Zazen Manbi – Shoshana Epsilon
- Getting Started in Second Life Perplexity Peccable Vitesse Vella (Patricia F. Anderson) (Sharon K. Grayden) firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com © 2007 Regents of the University of Michigan. All rights reserved.