The University Library: Origins, Architecture, and Art
The Shapiro Undergraduate Library is built. This library's policy of opening the stacks for direct use by patrons sets the standard for other U-M Libraries. (Loup & Yocum, 2001)
The south building of the General Library is built. It is an eight story, 5.4 million dollar annex accommodating about 900,000 volumes and an additional 532 study carrels. This building, the first high rise on the Diag (center of campus), opens in June. (Peckham, 1997)
In May of 1971 the two library buildings (north and south) are renamed the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library. Hatcher was the UM President from 1951-1968. ("The Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library 1883-1974," Hatcher hanging files)
The Alfred A. Taubman Medical Library is built.
Shapiro Library undergoes a major remodeling and addition.
The Social Work Library is moved from the Frieze Building to the new School of Social Work building at the corner of East University and South University.