The Library Diversity Council's goals for the 2009-2010 year are:
- Assess the needs of library staff and patrons in relation to the work of the Library Diversity Council
- Collaborate with Human Resources to use our experience, collective expertise and efforts in 1) recruitment and retention to help make a more diverse workplace and 2) education and programming to help build a workplace more appreciative of diversity
- Strengthen our advisory relationship with Library Administration in order to 1) be the face of diversity 2) report on LDC activities 3) ensure the inclusion of diversity in discussions
- Participating actively in planning and participating in events related to diversity
- Collaborate with members of the campus and the community to bridge individual and collective experiences
Mission of the Library Diversity Council
The Library Diversity Council is dedicated to provide leadership to the staff of the University of Michigan Library by promoting understanding in various areas of diversity, and to collaborate with members of the campus and the community to bridge individual and collective experiences; to serve as an advisory group to the library administration, reporting on diversity programs and on staff and patron concerns; and to lead in the creation and implementation of diversity activities.