The University Library Associates (ULA) program is an excellent opportunity for master’s students in the School of Information who are interested in academic and research libraries. The ULA program combines education and work experience in the University Library. Students attend School of Information classes full-time and work a 50% appointment in the University Library, earning a full tuition scholarship, health-care benefits, and a stipend.
University Library Associates enjoy the following benefits:
- Full tuition waiver
- Half-time, two-year appointment at University Library (1035 hours per year) with a salary of $27,351.00 per year (adjusted annually each September)
- Eligibility to attend Library-sponsored workshops and training events
- Eligibility to choose from several health plans
- Enrollment in group life insurance
- Wages are exempt from Social Security tax when enrolled for classes.
- Librarian borrowing privileges at the University Library, including free access to the 7-FAST On-Campus Document Delivery Service
- Sixty hours of sick time per year
A limited number of ULA positions are available each year. In addition to the fulfilling the responsibilities outlined in the descriptions linked below, past Associates have served on Library-wide committees, served as Web developers for Library Web sites, and have provided assistance to subject specialists in building the collections of the University Library.
2013 ULA Positions:
Learning & Teaching/Reference University Library Associate
3 positions available (2013-2015)
Taubman Health Sciences Libraries
1 position available (2013-2015)
Although past Associates have chosen to work in a variety of settings after graduation, many have readily obtained professional positions in academic libraries across the country.
For more information about the ULA program, visit www.si.umich.edu/academics/funding/university-library-associates.