Learn more about Lesson Study.
* Lesson Plan [docx] - complete script for teaching students to use Mirlyn
* Activity Sheet [docx] - an activity to be used with the lesson plan above
* Assessment Sheet [docx] - an assessment to be used with the lesson plan
* Handout [docx] - an informational handout to distribute to students
* Lesson Plan [doc] - complete script for teaching students to use Search Tools
* Search Tools Illustrated [ppt] - an animated presentation to be used with the lesson plan above
* Troubleshooting [doc] - tips for understanding search results and tracking down articles
* Lesson Plan [doc] - complete script for teaching students to use RefWorks
* Creating an Account [pdf] - a handout for students with the steps to create their own RefWorks account
* RefWorks Troubleshooting Guide [doc]
* What is RefWorks? [ppt] - an animated presentation that describes how to use RefWorks (by Xiang Li, Winter 2007 intern)
Critical Evaluation of Resources
* Lesson Plan [doc] - complete script for teaching students about the Critical Evaluation of Resourcess
* Scholarly v. Popular [ppt] - a PowerPoint presentation to show students different aspects in print journals that can help them determine whether their journal is scholarly
* Is It Scholarly? [doc] - a short handout dealing with questions students can ask themselves when reading sources
* Useful Terms Guide [doc] - lists definitions that students may find helpful
* Assignment worksheet [doc] - a worksheet for students to work through if time permits
* Lesson Plan [doc] - The Active Learning techniques presented here cover three lesson plans, each focusing on variations of the same subject matter.
* Narrowing a Topic [doc] - an active learning lesson plan for discussing narrowing research topics.
* Controlled Vocabulary [doc] - an active learning lesson plan for discussing controlled vocabulary.
* Interpreting a Citation [doc] - an active learning lesson plan for discussing interpreting citations.
Chokshi, S., & Fernandez, C. Challenges to Importing Japanese Lesson Study: Concerns, Misconceptions, and Nuances. Phi Delta Kappan, 85(7), 520.
Chokshi, S., & Fernandez, C. Reaping the Systemic Benefits of Lesson Study. Phi Delta Kappan, 86(9), 674.
Fernandez, C. (2002). Learning from Japanese Approaches to Professional Development: The Case of Lesson Study. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(5), 393-405.
Fernandez, C., Cannon, J., & Chokshi, S. (2003). A U.S.-Japan Lesson Study Collaboration Reveals Critical Lenses for Examining Practice. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(2), 171-185.
Fernandez, C., & Chokshi, S. (2002). A Practical Guide to Translating Lesson Study for a U.S. Setting. Phi Delta Kappan, 84(2), 128-134.
Fernandez, C., & Yoshida, M. (2004). Lesson study a Japanese approach to improving mathematics teaching and learning. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Lewis, C. (2002). Does Lesson Study Have a Future in the United States? Access ERIC: FullText. California.
Lewis, C., Perry, R., & Hurd, J. A Deeper Look at Lesson Study. Educational Leadership, 61(5), 18.
Lewis, C., Perry, R., & Murata, A. (2003). Lesson Study and Teachers Knowledge Development: Collaborative Critique of a Research Model and Methods. Access ERIC: FullText. California.