Links to information of interest to library instructors is available on this page. Some links require authentication. Jump to information and links related to:
The MLibrary Instruction Wiki serves as a repository for MLibrary instructors to share course information, lecture notes, lesson plans, assignments, etc. New library instructors may use the wiki to find standard existing instructional modules or find out if other library instructors have previously taught a given class.
The wiki is constantly updated and includes administrative information such as classroom locations and scheduling information and unit instruction coordinators. New instructors should feel free to add to and edit the wiki. Access to the wiki requires authentication.
A list of training sites for library instruction is also available on the Instructor College website.
On August 18th, 2010, Charles Dershimer and Erping Zhu from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching presented a workshop designed to help library instructors: identify key elements of workshop planning, facilitation, and assessment; apply ideas to planning for upcoming library sessions; and gain useful resources through CRLT/Library collaborations. Library instructors are shown useful concepts and practical tips for immediately improving their classes.
Lesson Study is a method of developing lesson plans that involves collaboration and creativity. It is an iterative process in which teachers brainstorm, discuss and implement lesson ideas, try them out on a class, and then come back together to revise and rethink the lesson. What results is a high-quality lesson plan that has been tested and tried multiple times.
Best Practices & Tips
Best Practices in Library Instruction
- Information Literacy (ACRL)
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education & Toolkit
- Standards for Proficiencies for Instruction Librarians and Coordinators
- Tips for Developing Effective Web-Based Library Instruction
- Information Literacy in the Disciplines (ACRL)
- PRIMO: Peer-Reviewed Instructional Materials Online Database
- Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Instructor College - Top 10 Teaching Tips
- Instructor College Tips for Trainers (PDF)
- Instructor College Tips for Developing Faculty Relationships
- Information Literacy Best Practices Wiki
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education - Guidelines for Information Literacy in the Curriculum (PDF)
- Project Information Literacy
Best Practices - General Pedagogy
- GSI Guidebook (Graduate Student Instructors, CRLT)
- Teaching Strategies and Disciplinary Resources (All Instructors, CRLT)
Assessment of Library Instruction & Student Learning
- MLibrary Assessment Committee
- Assessment Issues (ACRL)
- Curricular Assessment and Evaluation (CRLT)
- Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness (CRLT)
- Improving Your Teaching: Obtaining Feedback (CRLT)
- Assessment in Practice from Knowing what students know: The science and design of educational assessment. National Research Council, 2001.
- USF Library Instruction Assessment Clearinghouse