Imageworks is located on the 2nd floor of the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library. The physical collection includes over 3,000 DVDs, VHS tapes, and CD-ROMs; more than 100,000 35mm slides; and numerous blueprints and maps. In addition, there are several thousand high-resolution, royalty-free images available from our Corel CD-ROM collection.
Our online image collection is accessible via this link: Art, Architecture & Engineering Library Online Images. We are constantly adding to this database in response to curricular needs and with unique gift collections. And, as seen in the Research Guide for Images, we provide access to numerous other digital image databases.
The DVDs, VHS tapes, and CD-ROMs can all be found in Mirlyn. and through the Imageworks Video Database. You may browse and borrow videos during our open hours, or request them via "Get This" in Mirlyn and the item will be held at the circulation desk of your choice. These items circulate for 3 days, with 3 renewals.
Other media (35 mm slides, blueprints, etc.) can be searched while in the collection. Staff will be happy to help you find what you need when you visit.
Our facility has a flat-screen monitor for individual or group viewing VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray items, along with wireless headphones.
Project tools include a Mac and a PC workstation; flatbed scanner; slide/film scanner; light table; and paper cutter, 3-hole punch, stapler, scissors, pens, etc.
- We can assist with finding quality images, creating image portfolios, and using images in presentation software. In addition, we can offer advice regarding copyright and fair use of images.
- For faculty, we will make digital images from book or journal illustrations. The images are added to our general collection. Please bring your images at least two weeks before you need them for presentation.
- At faculty or GSI request, we will put videos or dvd's on reserve for a course. The material can be viewed at one of several viewing stations in the library.
- To check out materials, users must have a valid University of Michigan ID.
- DVDs and VHS tapes circulate to all users for three days and can be renewed three times.
- Maps and blueprints in reasonable condition circulate for 1 week.
- Faculty may borrow 35mm slides for as long as required for teaching and research. However, as a consideration to other users we request that faculty return images within two weeks.
- Students may borrow 35mm slides for a 1 week period for class presentations.
For further information on finding and using visual resources, please see the Research Guide for Images.