Ulysses A. Ricci,
a New York born sculptor, inscribed the university seal found on
in the north entry to the library. The seal contains the words "University
of Michigan 1817" on it outer boarder and "Artes, Scientia,
Veritas" inside the seal, which is Latin for "Art, Science,
Truth". The symbol in the center is the "Lamp of Wisdom."
Some of Ricci's
major works include the fountain in the McLean Conservatory (1915),
the sculpture and bronze doors for the Constitution Building (1928),
and the Department of Commerce building, Washington, D.C. (1931).
The Bentley Historical
Library maintains a very informative website concerning the history
of the University Seal.