Dr John G. Pedley is Professor Emeritus of Classical Archaeology and Greek at the University of Michigan.
He received his BA in Classics, with specialization in Ancient History (Part II of the Tripos), at Cambridge University in 1953 and the MA in 1959. Entering the graduate program in Classical Archaeology at Harvard University in 1960, he spent a year in Greece at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens (1963-1964), and received his PhD from Harvard in 1965.
He joined the faculty of the University of Michigan as Assistant Professor in 1965, was promoted to Associate in 1968 and Full Professor in 1974. He served as Acting Chair of the Department of Classical Studies for two years in the 1970s and as Director of the Kelsey Museum of Ancient and Medieval Archaeology from 1973-1986. He has served as Visiting Scholar at Cambridge University, as Resident in Archaeology at the American Academy in Rome and as Guest Scholar at the J. Paul Getty Museum.
His teaching has focused on the ancient Greek world with particular reference to the art and archaeology, and notably to sanctuaries and cities, architecture, sculpture and painting, form and function. His research has included field work in England at Verulamium and Corstopitum, Greece at Pylos and Turkey at Sardis. He co-directed work at Apollonia in Libya , and directed excavations both in Tunisia at El Djem and in Italy at Paestum. He has published 11 books and over 80 articles and reviews.
In the course of his career he has received fellowships for independent study from
the American Council of Learned Societies, the American research Institute in Turkey, Harvard University, the American Philosophical Society and the National Endowment for the Humanities, and numerous awards from the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities for improvements to the collections and programs of the Kelsey Museum, and for the excavations at Paestum.
A Life Member of the Archaeological Institute of America, he has served on numerous committees including the Executive, the Lecture Program and the Monographs Committees, and chaired the Nominating and the Fellowship Committees. He has served on the Overseers’ Committee to Visit the Department of Classics at Harvard College, as Assessor of Archaeological Projects for the Canada Council, and on UNESCO’s Comite Consultatif on the Sauvegarde de Carthage. He has chaired the Rome Prize Classical Studies Jury for the American Academy in Rome and served on the Comitato Scientifico of Ostraka and of the Centro Studi Phistelia, Parco Nazionale del Cilento e Vallo di Diano.