Hinsdale and Demmon, History of the University of Michigan 225
William Stanton Curtis was born at Burlington, Vermont, August 3, 1815, son of Lewis and Abigail (Camp) Curtis. On his father's side he was descended from Thomas Curtis, who was born in England in 1598 and died in Wethersfield, Connecticut, in 1682. His mother was a daughter of Luke Camp and Elizabeth Stanton of Burlington, Vermont.
He received his early education in the common schools of Missouri and Wisconsin, and entered Illinois College, Jacksonville, where he was graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1838. He then entered the Yale Divinity School and was graduated there in 1841. For the first year after graduation he was pastor of the First Congregational church in Rockford, Illinois.
From 1842 to 1855 he was pastor of the Presbyterian church of Ann Arbor. During the year 1851-1852 he also served as Professor of Moral and Intellectual Philosophy in the University of Michigan.
From 1855 to 1863 he was Professor of Moral Philosophy, and college pastor, at Hamilton College, Clinton, New York. In 1863 he became President of Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois, where he remained five years; and then, after a year's rest, he became, in 1869, pastor of the Westminster Church at Rockford, Illinois.
He resigned this charge in 1875 and after a trip abroad resided in Rockford till his death, May 30, 1885. He was a corporate member of the American Board of Foreign Missions, and for many years a trustee of the Rockford College for Women, and a director of the McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago.
He received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Madison (now Colgate) University in 1856.
He was married at Pittsford, Vermont, August 28, 1845, to Martha Augusta Leach, and there were four children: Mary Leach, now the wife of Judge H. V. Freeman, of Chicago; William Andrew; Edward Lewis, now Professor of Hebrew in Yale University; and Albert Hamilton.