The Michigan Alumnus 488-492
Brand Blanshard, Assistant Professor of Philosophy, was born at Fredericks burg, Ohio, August 27, 1892. He re ceived his A. B. in 1914 at the University of Michigan, and his A. M. at Columbia University. In 1920 he took the degree of B. Sc. at the University of Oxford, England, and in 1921 a Ph. D. at Har vard.
Professor Blanshard is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and of Delta Sigma Rho. He was winner of the University, Michigan State, and Western Interstate Oratorical contests in the Peace Series, also of the National Contest at Lake Mohank, N. Y., in 1912. In 1913 he was University medallist in public speak ing. In the same year he was Rhodes Scholar from Michigan; and he spent 1913-15, 1919-20, in the study of philos ophy at Merton College, Oxford, under the direction of H. H. Joachim, during which time he studied four months in Germany. He was President of the Ox ford University Cosmopolitan Club in 1914, and of the American Club in 1920. He was also a member of the Merton tennis team in 1920.
In 1915 he joined the British Army Y.M.C.A. and went to Mesopotamia. At Busrah he served as secretary of the base camp of the British Expedition ary Force. In 1916-17 he was student secretary in Bombay, India, from which place he returned to America in 1917 via China and Japan. He served with the United States Army during 1918 and 1919 and became instructor in the A. E. F. School at Beaune, France, in 1919.
Professor Blanshard has published "The Church and the Polish Immigrant," the report of a sociological inquiry con- ducted in Philadelphia under direction of Professor John Dewey.
On November 3, 1918, Professor Blanshard was married to Frances Mar garet Bradshaw, daughter of Professor Margaret R. Bradshaw of Smith Col lege.