Regents' Proceedings 133
Marjorie M. Murphy, Professor of Nutrition in the School of Nursing, retired
from active faculty status as of June 1, 1981 after a most productive career
as a dietitian and teacher.
Professor Murphy completed her undergraduate studies at the University of
Minnesota in 1942. She completed her Dietetic Internship at the University
of Minnesota in 1943 and received her MPH from The University of
Michigan in 1950 and her certificate in Gerontology from The University of
Michigan in 1978.
From June 1943 to January 1945, Professor Murphy served as a therapeutic
and teaching dietitian at People's Hospital in Akron, Ohio and St. Paul,
Minnesota. From 1945 to 1947, she completed a tour of duty as a United
States Army Dietitian in the Pacific Theater. She was employed by the
Veteran's Administration Hospital in New York City from April 1947 to
August, 1949 and worked for the Kentucky State Department of Health from
1951 to 1956.
In 1956, Professor Murphy came to The University of Michigan as an
Instructor of Nutrition. She was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1960,
Associate Professor in 1962 and Professor in 1968. During her tenure at The
University of Michigan, Professor Murphy provided leadership in
developing the nutrition content of our curriculum and assisted faculty in the
application of nutrition knowledge as an important component of total health
care. Among her many community contributions, the most noteworthy has
been provision of the nutrition services to the Turner Geriatric Clinic.
The Regents now salute this distinguished health educator for her dedicated
service by naming her Professor Emeritus of Nursing.