The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Scholarly Philosophy Papers Fill Professor's Spare Hours


Cooper Harold Langford
The Michigan Alumnus 341

With a heavy teaching sched
ule, his duties as President of 
an important philosophical associa
tion, and writing numerous publica
tions in his field keep Cooper H. 
Langford, Professor of Philosophy, 
much too busy for any hobbies but
 his work. His classes are very popu
lar because he has the gift of mak
ing what can easily become a dry
 subject vital and interesting.

Born
 August 25, 1895, in Dublin, Arkansas, he received his preparatory
 schooling at the Academy of the
 College of the Ozarks, Clarksville, 
 Arkansas. He entered the Univer
sity of Arkansas in 1914 and trans
ferred in 1915 to Clark University, 
 Worcester, Mass.

The World War 
interrupted his college career in
 1917 when he entered the Army. He
 served 20 months overseas. After 
his discharge, he re-entered Clark 
and won his Bachelor of Arts degree 
in 1921. He enrolled in Harvard
 University in the same year and
 was awarded the Ph.D. degree there
 in 1924. He was the Sheldon Traveling Fellow at Cambridge Univer
sity in 1924 and 1925, and in the
 latter year, he was appointed an
 
instructor at Harvard University. 


He accepted a position as Assistant 
Professor of Philosophy at the Uni
versity of Washington in 1927, and 
in 1929 he was called to the Univer
sity of Michigan as Associate Professor of Philosophy. He was made 
a full professor in 1934.

Collaborating with C. I. Lewis of Harvard 
University, the professor published
 a book, Symbolic Logic, in 1933, 
 and he is the author of some 18
 philosophical papers which have 
been published in such important 
journals as Mind and The Bulletin
 of the American Mathematical So
ciety. He was Philosophical Editor 
of the Journal of Symbolic Logic
 from its founding in 1936 to 1940. 
 The journal is published by the As
sociation for Symbolic Logic, and
 Professor Langford resigned his edi
torship when he was elected to serve
 a three-year term as President of 
the association starting in 1941. In
 addition, he holds memberships in 
the Mind Association, the American
 Philosophical Association and the
 Michigan Academy.