The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Charles B. Vibbert
Regents' Proceedings 1034

WHEREAS, Charles Bruce Vibbert, A.B. '04, an alumnus of the University of Michigan, since 1905 a member of its faculty, and since 1924 Professor of Philosophy in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, attained the age of seventy years on August 24, 1947, and thereby became eligible for retirement under the regulations established by this Board, and

WHEREAS, Professor Vibbert, a recognized authority on modern French philosophy and a former president of the Western Division of the American Philosophical Association, has maintained a keen and sincere interest in the many hundreds of individual students who have enrolled in his classes throughout the many years of his experience on this campus, a circumstance which has added greatly to his value as a member of the teaching staff, and

WHEREAS, As director of the University of Michigan Bureau of the American University Union at Paris in 1917-19, as director of the American University Union in Europe in 1919-20 and 1927-28, as James Hazen Hyde Lecturer in the French provincial universities in 1928, and by his designation as Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur by the French government in 1919, Professor Vibbert has played an unusual part in the effort to achieve better international understandings; therefore be it

Resolved, That the Regents of the University of Michigan felicitate Professor Vibbert most cordially upon the many achievements of his career and extend to him their good wishes for his continued health and happiness, and further, that they confer upon him the title Professor Emeritus of Philosophy as of the date of his retirement, August 24, 1947, inviting him to avail himself of all the privileges customarily enjoyed by emeritus members of the faculty.