The Faculty History Project documents faculty members who have been associated with the University of Michigan since 1837, and the history of the University's schools and colleges. This project is part of a larger effort to prepare resources for the University's bicentennial in 2017. Find out more.

The Bentley Historical Library serves as the official archives for the University.

Memoir

Andrew Ten Brook
Hinsdale and Demmon, History of the University of Michigan 223

Andrew Ten Brook was born at Elmira, New York, September 21, 1814. He was educated at Madison University, where he was graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1839. Two years later he completed the theological course at the same institution and removed immediately to Detroit, Michigan, to occupy the pastorate of the Baptist church.

He resigned this charge in 1844 to accept the chair of Moral and Intellectual Philosophy in the University of Michigan. He continued in this chair until 1851.

In 1853 he became editor and owner of "The New York Baptist Register," published at Utica, New York. In 1856 he was appointed United States Consul to Munich, Bavaria, and remained there until December 1862.

In 1864 he was appointed Librarian of the University and continued in that office until 1877. While pastor of the Baptist church in Detroit, he was also editor of "The Christian Herald," a paper published in Detroit by the executive committee of the Michigan State Baptist Convention. In 1875 he published a volume entitled "American State Universities and the University of Michigan," and, in 1884, a translation in two volumes, of Anton Gindely's great work on The Thirty Years' War. He contributed largely to the periodical press on subjects pertaining to philosophy and history.

He died in Detroit November 5, 1899.