If you are interested in having your materials digitized and possibly hosted by U-M Library, this is the place to start.
This workflow is for projects that originate from the University of Michigan Library print collections, University of Michigan departmental collections, as well as off-campus collections.
The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS) and the Digital Conversion Unit (DCU) are here to help guide your digitization project from start to finish. Below are the resources we will use to guide you through this process. It is possible that not all of the resources will be necessary for your particular project.
There are two flowcharts at the end of this document that will likely be useful to you as you read and fill out the following documents.
Steps towards starting a digitization project:
- Read these documents first. They are designed to help you answer questions posed in the Digital Project Proposal.
- Digitization Project FAQ. This FAQ will help you tell us the plan and scope of your project. It also includes information about our digitization process at U-M Library.
- Gathering Legal Information for Digital Projects. It is important that you understand the legal issues related to the rights and permissions to your hosted collection at U-M Library.
- Fill out the Digital Project Proposal (Word document).
- Email the form and a short summary of your project to email@example.com.
- The form and summary will be forwarded to the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Collections and others at U-M Library for review.
- Once the project is approved, we will contact you to set up an initial informational meeting, where we will discuss the project in more detail, and any questions that may have arisen during the review process.
- Please bring a sample of the materials you want digitized to the meeting (if possible), as well as any permissions and rights documentation, acquisition agreements and general information about ownership you may have (see Gathering Legal Information for Digital Projects for more information on this).