The Hubbard collection consists of around 120 important rare maps. The collection focuses on North America and Europe, and the maps date from the 16th to the 19th century.
Lucius L. Hubbard (1849-1933) was a lawyer before earning his PhD in mineralogy in 1886. He worked for the Michigan Geological Survey and the Michigan College of Mines until 1893, when he assumed a six-year post as the Michigan State Geologist. In addition to minerals, Hubbard was also a collector of Americana as well as maps of the world. He donated his map collection to the University of Michigan in 1923, at the midpoint of his service as a University regent (1911-1933).
From This Collection